Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA, Low PH, 0 FC, what do I do first?

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA, Low PH, 0 FC, what do I do first?

Pool Chemistry Problem
    by jaurich » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 19:35

I have a 21' above ground pool that is having issues. I think my mistake was using tabs with stabilizer, and with 0 chorline for a week or so, I kept adding tabs /shock which raised the CYA level and TA. I read this forum yesterday, and added tap water (city) and added the 182 oz. 6% bleach last night. This morning chorline was still 0. I took a sample to american sales here are their results:

TC -0
    FC -0
    Alkalinity - 140
    Ph - 6.4
    Hardness - 200
    Stabilizer - 60

I was told to fix ph to 7.2 first, then add .5 gallon of muriatic acid to fix the TA, then fix chlorine with powder shock vs liquid shock.

Can someone confirm which issue I should target first.

Much Appriciated.

Jeremy from Chicago

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA, Low PH, 0 FC, what do I do first?

Raise PH, and then right away add acid to lower PH back down? That doesn't make any sense.

You need to raise the PH to at least 7.0 right away. PH below 7.0 can damage the pool. Then you need to shock the pool, see How To Shock Your Pool in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Raise the PH........ignore the TA at this point..........and we suggest using bleach to raise your FC.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I just added 5 lb jug of PH plus. Will test in 2 hrs as directed. That's all I had on hand, probably going to have to make a run.

Thank you for your comments.

5. Back To Top    #5

FC and PH now testing Normal!
    I have a half bucket of pucks left, can I still use 1 / Week without getting into trouble? I will use a liquid shock going forward.

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you are already looking at a CYA level of 60, I would switch to liquid chlorine now and save those pucks for vacations.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter