Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening test results: help please! :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening test results: help please! :)

Alright, so I am still somewhat novice and confused here. But, here we go: Just did the first test on the pool water this summer and want to get it ready to swim in for my wife and toddler.

The test results were as follows:

FC 1
    CC 0
    TC 1
    pH 6 (ish)
    T/A 10-20
    CH 220
    CYA 60
    Temp 81

What is the first step to get this all right? Can anyone help?

Specifically, what is the order of changes that should be done? From this site I have learned how to correct each one, but which should go before the other?

Also, what should my levels be set at as a goal on the calculator?

Thanks in advance!

TJ
    12k gallons; AG round 21'x 54"; Cartridge filter; Magnetek Century LASAR 1081/1563 (1.5HP ?) Pump; 28GPM flowrate Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening test results: help please! :)

First, raise TA to 60 or 70 with baking soda, give that an hour to mix in, test the PH, and then raise the PH to at least 7.2. Then get some more chlorine in there so you don't get algae.

You will want to make further adjustments once you have done that, but get that done, then give it a day, and see where you are.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    First, raise TA to 60 or 70 with baking soda, give that an hour to mix in, test the PH, and then raise the PH to at least 7.2. Then get some more chlorine in there so you don't get algae.

You will want to make further adjustments once you have done that, but get that done, then give it a day, and see where you are.
    Thank you! So, what levels should I be aiming for with FC and CC and CH and CYA?

Terry
    12k gallons; AG round 21'x 54"; Cartridge filter; Magnetek Century LASAR 1081/1563 (1.5HP ?) Pump; 28GPM flowrate Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

To determine what levels of FC you need check the Chlorine/CYA Chart. If you have a vinyl lined pool you have a bit more freedom when it comes to your CH levels. See the Recommended Levels Chart.
    17K Gal. IG Vinyl - 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo Pump - Pentair SMBW 4048 DE Filter - Solar Heating - TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School - The Pool Calculator - How to Shock Your Pool - Help Support This Great Site!