Evaporation vs. hole in my liner

mogie

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2011
Rochester, MN
Hey guys,

Just wondering how fast water should be evaporating out of my pool. I may be a bit on the paranoid side because I have had a couple of holes in my liner this year, but I seem to be loosing an inch or so of water per day. It's been around 80* the last few days and I am thinking I shouldn't be loosing that much water. Thoughts?

If I do have another hole, I am really having a hard time finding it. I let the pool drain down to the level of my return jet, which took around 1 week, and then it seemed to slow down significantly. I pumped water out so the level was below my return jet and aquarium silicone around the return and the skimmer thinking this may be my problem. If anyone has any suggestions, I greatly appreciate it! I tried using food coloring, but could not find a leak. Thanks for reading!

Matt

For starters, run a bucket test. This is where you get a bucket of water which can set upon something in your pool -steps, small stool, something so that its' rim is above the waterline. Mark the inner and outer water levels on the sides of the bucket. Next day, mark them again, and measure the distance between day 1 and day 2 for both. If the pool level drops farther than the bucket level, you have a leak. If not, then it's evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.