Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Which is the best method for aeration?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Long hang-time

4 30.77%
  • Direct injection

9 69.23%

Thread: Best Method to Aerate

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Method to Aerate

I live near Pensacola, FL and our pool, with dark liner, stays too hot for me to enjoy. I decided to make an aerator that connects to the Polaris return and, depending on nighttime temp/humidity I can lower pool temp 3-6 DegF.

Now, I am making the change to borates and the wife and I have running bet. Looking at the pictures, which method, direct injection or long hang-time, is better for raising PH?

I use long hang-time for lowering the pool temp. When the water leaves the PVC pipe, the temperature lowers 3-4 by time the droplets return to the water. I would estimate the height of the arch to be about 8'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BBB 26,700 Gal inground Vinyl lined pool with water. Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump running at 1,500 rpm 24/7. Polaris 360 with booster pump. 200Lb sand filter. Some floating dinosaurs that my 8 Year Old threw in and Hair of the Dog. Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Method to Aerate

I'm a hang time guy myself. Looks prettier too!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Lots of small bubbles are best for aeration. The lower photo should be more effective based on what I see in the photos, though either approach will work well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I vote for direct injection. You want to maximize the air-water interface and direct injection not only adds air bubbles to the water but it also churns the water making waves getting a large water surface area disrupted.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I would like to share some observations . These are not scientific observations because I did not track all potential outside influence, i.e. day/night temp/humidity (we are in the Florida Panhandle and our day and night temperatures have been consistent). However, it was obvious to me as I was working to adjust TA/PH for adding borates.

24 hours of Direct Injection provided a PH increase of .6 and temp decrease of 2DegF
    24 hours of Long Hang-time provided a PH increase of .2 and a temp decrease of 6DegF

During full sun, with mask and snorkel, I played with the angle of attack from straight down (-90deg from horizontal) to nice arch (45deg from horizontal). Everywhere generated more/less bubbles but the interesting part was the amount of tiny “Micro Bubbles” (bubbles so small that they appear as a cloud or haze in the water). -45deg provided the most Micro Bubbles such that the cloud of bubbles would almost make it to the other side of an 18’ pool.

The last observation struck me as a little odd and maybe it is just a matter of circumstance. Using my Taylor K-2006, I took PH & TA readings at 7am, 6pm, and at sundown. I did this everyday for 5 days. It appeared that 90% of the PH change occurred overnight. Yes, the aerator was running 24/7 for those 5 days.

Actually, I was very surprised how fast I was able to lower my TA as I was expecting a much longer experience. I started the borate process July 6th and just finished today (still have to run for 48 hours).

My 6 year old and I can tell the difference in the feel and I really noticed my hair was softer, not so dry, when I got out . I did not tell him that I changed the water and I tried to ask him ambiguous questions. The wife does not know yet and I do not plan to tell her, I want to see if she will realize the change.

By the way, the wife won the bet .
    BBB 26,700 Gal inground Vinyl lined pool with water. Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump running at 1,500 rpm 24/7. Polaris 360 with booster pump. 200Lb sand filter. Some floating dinosaurs that my 8 Year Old threw in and Hair of the Dog. Taylor K-2006