Best Method to Aerate

Which is the best method for aeration?

• Total voters
Jan 23, 2011
Gulf Breeze, FL
I live near Pensacola, FL and our pool, with dark liner, stays too hot for me to enjoy. I decided to make an aerator that connects to the Polaris return and, depending on nighttime temp/humidity I can lower pool temp 3-6 DegF.

Now, I am making the change to borates and the wife and I have running bet. Looking at the pictures, which method, direct injection or long hang-time, is better for raising PH?

I use long hang-time for lowering the pool temp. When the water leaves the PVC pipe, the temperature lowers 3-4 by time the droplets return to the water. I would estimate the height of the arch to be about 8'.

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 324
I would like to share some observations :blah: :rant: . These are not scientific observations because I did not track all potential outside influence, i.e. day/night temp/humidity (we are in the Florida Panhandle and our day and night temperatures have been consistent). However, it was obvious to me :hammer: as I was working to adjust TA/PH for adding borates.

24 hours of Direct Injection provided a PH increase of .6 and temp decrease of 2DegF
24 hours of Long Hang-time provided a PH increase of .2 and a temp decrease of 6DegF

During full sun, with mask and snorkel, I played with the angle of attack from straight down (-90deg from horizontal) to nice arch (45deg from horizontal). Everywhere generated more/less bubbles but the interesting part was the amount of tiny “Micro Bubbles” (bubbles so small that they appear as a cloud or haze in the water). -45deg provided the most Micro Bubbles :goodjob: such that the cloud of bubbles would almost make it to the other side of an 18’ pool.

The last observation struck me as a little odd :shock: and maybe it is just a matter of circumstance. Using my Taylor K-2006, I took PH & TA readings at 7am, 6pm, and at sundown. I did this everyday for 5 days. It appeared that 90% of the PH change occurred overnight. Yes, the aerator was running 24/7 for those 5 days.

Actually, I was very surprised how fast I was able to lower my TA as I was expecting a much longer experience. I started the borate process July 6th and just finished today (still have to run for 48 hours).

My 6 year old and I can tell the difference in the feel and I really noticed my hair was softer, not so dry, when I got out :whoot: . I did not tell him that I changed the water and I tried to ask him ambiguous questions. The wife does not know yet and I do not plan to tell her, I want to see if she will realize the change.

By the way, the wife won the bet :grrrr: .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.