auto cover, mesh cover, tarp cover, oh my!

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
The pool build is imminent! First and foremost, we have six kids aged 13 and under AND, we still like them. So, we want something safe, affordable (less than $6000), and easy to use. Of course we LOVE the look and mechanics of an auto cover, but sadly the cover will cost as much as the actual DIY pool project. A fence is not an option. The pool will be right out the back door. The pool is a 20 x 40 rectangle with protruding steps. We did look into covers that act like auto covers, but with no automation (ie: use a rope to pull it closed). However, this system would not work with pools over 18' wide.

I did read a post about someone who used a looploc system year round. How practical is this really? Will it be too tight too fuss with it two to three times a day? Will we be stubbing our toes on the anchors? We have a trampoline and I'm imagining if I had to take the jump part off and on three times a day my kids would learn a whole new set of curse words. Please offer your input! BTW, I don't know of a more valuable site than TPS!

You are right, a fence is not an option. It is a REQUIREMENT! As are swim lessons and watchful parenting. Add alarms if needed.

If the kids have a problem with understanding the rules, too bad. Do not give them the idea that the rules are not negotiable. Violation, especially with young teens, who don't think ahead more than 30 seconds from now except when Christmas or their birthday is around the corner need to just accept the rules until they can learn to understand the whys or they don't swim, go out, watch TV, etc...

As for a safety cover, IMHO, it wouldn't get used. Too much of a PITA for daily use. You'll want one for winter though.

Scott

Sorry for the delay in responding :( (minor health issue limits my ability to type :| )

An auto cover would do what you want, but if price is too high... (how much do you like your kids? :wink: :p )

They make a child proof fence that is held in the deck by plastic tubes and is held together with 'child proof' hooks - I can't recall the name, but you can also get self- latching gates for them. This might be your best bet, but definitely get a safety cover for the winter :-D

Sounds like you have my dream injury. If I couldn't type then certainly I wouldn't be able to do dishes either. All jokes aside, hope you are on the road to recovery! Thanks for the response. In the mean time, I looked into the ez cover. It is affordable by itself. Surprisingly, even adding the auto feature it may be within reach if we dip into all the college funds! The thing that made it possible is that they will sell it without making us go through a dealer. During all this pool research, I've been surprised how difficult it is to purchase stuff because so much is dealer related. Thanks for taking the time to respond. The people on this site are incredible ! :-D

I'm just in the researching phase of our pool, but I've been looking into katchakid. It seems like a netting would take less time to install and take off (b/c you don't have to fold it and be careful with storage). I've heard that once you get the hang of it it only takes about 10 minutes to do both. Now I'm off to research ez cover :oops:

8corneflakes said:
Sounds like you have my dream injury. If I couldn't type then certainly I wouldn't be able to do dishes either. All jokes aside, hope you are on the road to recovery! Thanks for the response. In the mean time, I looked into the ez cover. It is affordable by itself. Surprisingly, even adding the auto feature it may be within reach if we dip into all the college funds! The thing that made it possible is that they will sell it without making us go through a dealer. During all this pool research, I've been surprised how difficult it is to purchase stuff because so much is dealer related. Thanks for taking the time to respond. The people on this site are incredible ! :-D

Thanks for the well wishes! :cool: However, I still don't get out of dish duty :wink: :lol:

Jackty - welcome to TFP!! With a little practice, almost any cover can be easily installed or removed with 2 people :) A net cover is NOT the same as a 'safety cover' !!!!!! A net cover would allow drowning, whereas a safety cover won't! (if you want to start your own thread on this, I,and other knowledgeable folks here will respond :cheers: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.