Clueless after heavy storm

Jul 5, 2011
I know you'll want all kinds of information that I don't even know in order to help me, but here's what happened. I just bought a house that has a pool. The equipment is all new, as it was stolen, and I don't even know anything about it size wise or what have you. I know the filter is a cartridge, it's an in ground pool, and we went to Leslie's, where they estimated that we have a 28,000 gallon pool, and sent us home with shock, a water conditioner (the pool was just filled), chlorine tablets, a vacuum, brush, and net. I conditioned the water, added the shock (2lbs.), and put two chlorine tablets in the floating basket thingy.

It just rained, a heavy, crazy storm, and the pool is overflowing. What's worse, the lawn flooded and soil poured into the pool. It was so sparkly and blue and now it's a mud puddle. Should I just run the filter or vacuum until it's clean? Should I shock it again? Won't all that dirt clog up the filter? I'm not sure what to do, we are still in the process of moving, and I just found this forum the other day, and haven't been able to read or retain very much yet. I appreciate your advice!

Ok, if it were me I would shut the filter off, let the dirt and stuff settle to the bottom of the pool overnight and then vacuum the dirt off the bottom to waste by-passing the filter and getting the dirt and extra water out of the pool. Other may chime in and offer different and possibly better advise but at least you'll have choices.
If the pool was just filled adding the stabilizer should be OK but you need to be careful with those pucks. They will increase your CYA levels over time and actually do more harm then good. Almost everyone here uses chlorine bleach instead of the pucks. You also want to order a good test kit online and read through the Pool School. You will see a button that will take you to the pool school at the top right of every page. In the pool school there are links to recommended test kits. The pool school will also have a link to the pool calculator that will become your best friend.

DONT PANIC, there are amazing and helpful people here that will guide you through this!

I have pretty much been panicking since we closed escrow. They had finished filling the pool five days beforehand and didn't put anything in it, and it was already turning green. I feel like I need to learn rocket science while in the midst of moving, and just when I had it all clear and pretty, viola! Freak heavy storm comes along and turns my oasis into a mud puddle:(

I'm not going to say sit back and relax but with the help of the people here they will have your pool clear in no time. Granted, you are going to have to do all the work but they will tell you what needs to be done. Make sure you get one of the recommended test kits ordered and I also highly recommend a SpeedStir, it will make testing so much easier. I have added links to the pool school, pool calculator and the test kits to my signature. I would add a couple of jugs of chlorine 6% bleach to the pool as soon as the pumps are running and then add another jug each day until your test kits arrives. If the dirt/mud in the pool settles to the bottom you can vacuum it out to waste, if it does not settle, you can filter it out but you will need to really deep an eye on your pressure and backwash frequently. Oh, in you signature you might want to add your pool information, that will keep people from asking and keep you from having to say over and over what kind of pool you have.

The best thing to do is calm down. You can do this. At first, it's going to be overwhelming, but with some time and patience it gets easier. Don't panic.

With a cartridge filter there is no backwash so as it clogs you'll have to take it apart and clean it. Depending on it's size, that might not be very often.
The first thing to do is go out and write down all the brands and models of all the equipment you can. Taking a picture and posting it will help too.

Just run your pump and filter 24/7 and keep some chlorine in the pool, and given time, it will clear back up.

BOR had the right idea about getting a good test kit. You won't regret it.

Post back with any questions and we'll be glad to help.

Thanks so much! I will take photos of the equipment so you guys can help me figure out what we have! I did buy a test kit from Leslie's, it's a dip stick with little color blocks than change color. Everything looked okay before the storm, but the chlorine seems to disappear faster than Leslie's told me to throw in the weekly shock granules. It's been REALLY hot all week, about 100, so maybe that is why.

The guys who installed the equipment haven't been very helpful. We paid for it, but it was bank owned at the time, so the warranty and customer service is owed to the bank, not us. The pool has all kinds of bells and whistles and I have no idea where the valves should be pointing, how to program the box, or even how to open the filter to rinse off the cartridge!

The moving truck comes on Monday, after that hopefully I can read more stuff from Pool School and maybe even understand it;) I need to print out a cheat sheet for the abbreviations, though, I keep forgetting what they mean!

Photo's will help. I hate to tell you but the strips you got are all but useless. :( Also, there's no use throwing so called shock in your pool weekly. You only need to shock when something happens to warrant it. You need to keep chlorine in your pool. The Chlorine/CYA chart found in Pool School will tell you how much you need to shoot for. Pool Calc will tell you how much to add to get there. You'll probably have questions about using the Pool Calc so just post them and we'll try to help.

I suggest you go ahead and order the TF-100 test kit. There's a link in my sig for it. In the mean time take a sample to your pool store and have them test it. Then come back and post the results. Don't buy anything while you're there.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
It sounds like you could have a swcg also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think that's what we have, the house was a repo, and I'm sure the bank put in the cheapest, bare minimum that they could get away with. I have photos on my phone now, but I'm not sure how to upload them to the forum. I went to Leslie's this morning, they don't have the recommended kit, and discouraged me from buying their most complete kit. Said people find it confusing, and there are tests in it you only use once when the pool has been refilled, so it was a waste of money. They also said the chemicals go bad after a while, and the kit had been on the shelf for a couple of years. They wanted to sell me a different kit, but I wasn't sure if it had everything in it that you guys want to see, so I opted not to. I guess I'll look for it online, you guys have recommendations on the best place to find it?

I just saw the link to buy the kit in your sigline, thanks. I'm surfing on my phone until the computers get moved, so it's harder to navigate and everything is small;) I'm wondering, do I need to buy any of the extra bottles or tubes with the kit, or does it have everything I'll need within the kit already? Should I add a borate test? Is it worth upgrading to the XL kit? The site says that the XL option makes two of the most expensive reagents larger, but doesn't say which two. I'd like to order today, if possible. Any advice?

Until I can figure out how to share photos from my phone without a computer, the filter is a Pentair clean and clear cartridge filter. Does that help?

None of the kit add ons are required. Many people recommend the Speed Stir. Borate strips are only needed if you want to add borates, which are optional. Many people here recommend borates, but they are certainly not required. I would not get the XL in your situation. The two reagents in the XL option are related to the FAS-DPD test, it lets you do significantly more tests of your FC and CC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.