Question about high alkalinity

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
Ok, so when we got our pool installed, the Alkalinity was 227, according to the pool shop. PH was 7.73. Well, I did not get around to dumping any Muriatic acid in, since I did not have a way to aerate the pool to get the PH back up. For over two weeks now, the PH has been between 7.2 and 7.5. (we had a heavy rain after I took the sample to the pool shop which was at 7.73.)

The PH has not budged, so should I still use the acid to bring down the TA, or leave it alone until/if I see the PH go up? The water has been sparkly clear, and we have used it daily for over a week. Chlorine has been between 3-5 all the time with very little to no overnight loss. So far, knock on wood, everything has been running great, but that TA number keeps making me nervous.

Lastly, Calcium is at 250, but it is an above ground pool, so I don't need to worry about that, right?

When and if the PH goes up to 7.8, lower it back down to 7.2. Other than that, don't worry about it.

There is no need to add calcium to an above ground pool. You don't want CH getting too high, fortunately 250 is just fine.

Ok, thx. That's what I figured. If it goes to 7.8 then I will add enough acid to try to get the PH back to 7.2. And do that whenever it rises. And slowly lower the TA that way, so I won't need to aerate using that method. I am glad I found this site, and we are HAPPY that we got a pool. Our 6 yr old has went from not knowing how to swim, to swimming the 24ft length underwater in under two weeks, and just yesterday, learned how to not panic, and if he is out of breath, to lay on his back, and float, to rest and get to a side, or the steps, or a noodle. He LOVES swimming. We keep an eye on him at all times, and when we want to swim underwater, we have him put his floaties on, so he will be safe. It's a great summer so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.