Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner!!!

Hello Trouble Free Pool peeps!

My name is Alexandra or Alex for short. My husband Eric and myself have twin 10 year old boys (Jake and Sam) and a golden retriever (Ajax). My husband decided 2 years ago that getting a pool was the best way to entertain our family in our backyard rather than driving to the nearest beach. I'm basically on here to get tips and tricks on how others keep their pool from turning green and to keep myself from pulling out my hair. So, I hope to get some good input from all of you and maybe pass on some of my findings as well.

Clear water wishes to everyone
    24'x48" Mighty Sun Round
    Above Ground
    Heyward Cartridge Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    West Chester, PA

Re: New Pool Owner!!!

Welcome... you've come to the right place! We all (most) use bleach to keep our pools sparkling. A good test kit is a must and frequent trips through the pages of Pool School will give you all you need to keep a clean, healthy pool for your family... and your dog. I have an above ground pool as well and I let my dog swim in it daily.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Welcome aboard!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Fairmont, WV

A good test kit (TFTest kit)is a must have, and then just regular bleach is all I need to keep my pool clear and sparkily all year! Welcome!! Read Pool School and when you are done, re-read of great info.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

The Pool Calculator is a great tool to help you keep things sparkling even as you learn about maintaining your pool water in Pool School.

Test daily at a regular time, you'll get the hang of it! Be aggressive now with reading testing and adjusting, sure beats fighting the green meanies!

6. Back To Top    #6

Clearwater, FL.

Welcome WaterLilly85 to TFP!
    I bought a 15'X48" Intex above ground pool in March last year for the grand kids ages 2, 3, and 10, went to the pool store to get stuff to put in to get going.
    Started out fine until it got hot and presto green algae! Never recovered even with lots of $$ at the pool store, ended up draining and refilling to make it to the end of summer with being always cloudy and a bag of shock every week.
    Started all over again this year!
    I decided I would try and learn about water chemistry and figure out why I keep having problems.
    I'm so lucky to have found this site and forum!
    Started reading posts in Testing and Balancing Your Water, and in Algae-Prevention and Treatment.
    After seeing the great results and help that others were getting here I said to myself, this is what I need. Ordered my TF-100 XL test kit from and has been the best tool in my toolbox to fix my pool water.
    I followed the instructions on the lid and posted my results here, (make your post title as 'Test Results') I received an overwhelming amount of responses to help!
    Followed the pool school directions and with more help here I have a Trouble Free Pool and suffer from Sparklepoolits!
    Had a BIG 4th party (at one point 14 people in at the same time) and pool passed very easy! All my pool needed is a vacuum and some chlorine and ready to do it again!
    Here a pic after doing it the TFP way...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.