how to distribute CYA "conditioner"?

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
I went to the pool store to get some conditioner (100% CYA) and the store owner recommended pouring it directly into the skimmer basket. I have read to hang it in a fishnet sack near the skimmer or off the ladder. What is the preferred method? Also, has anyone used pantyhose as an alternative to the pool net type material? I'm wondering if it will hold up the chemicals. Thanks for the advice ... my pool is complete now (just finished building it), I just need to chem it.

I just use a store bought skimmer sock (available at the pool store), insert it in the skimmer basket and pour it into this. It works very well. I also bypass the filter until it has all dissolved to keep from accumulating it excessively in the filter.

If you just dump it in your skimmer the filter will become basically the holding point for powder as opposed to the sock which allows it to become more distributed in solution, and you run even greater risk of dumping it all out on the ground when you backwash.

How'd I do, vets?

Use and old un-paired sock. Rubber band the top, tie off and soak.

I also recommend squishing it after an hour or so, you'll see the CYA disperse in the water as you squish. Squishing helps it melt away faster than just hanging it.

Use the pool calculator to determine the amount to get to your desired CYA level. After that you can dose w/bleach at the "assumed" CYA number based on that amount.

Nylons are cheap, who cares if it degrades after a while? Nylons also have a loose weave as compared to "stockings" that us girls wear (opaque colored tights) and if you're looking for something that will filter smaller particles I'd go with "tights" or "stockings" instead of nylons.

Dollar tree often has toddler/young girl tights on the shelf that would work. You do mean the skimmer basket and not the skimmer/leaf net on a pole, right? If you did mean the one on the pole, maybe a nylon would work but you have to consider stretching over the head and how that will decrease the weave tightness.

well, this is a completely new pool with 0 CYA and about 15,500 gallons, so it's calling for quite a bit of CYA ... roughly 5.2 lbs! I bought two 3 lb containers, which are rather large ... luckily enough, I just happen to have a new bag of long socks and since it's summer and I only wear short socks, I'm going to re-purpose some of my old socks and replenish them with the new. The water has been filling for days now and fishing out dead bugs each day, but the water is crystal clear with a few backswimmers in it ... point being ... I need to get some Chlorine in it right away ... should I shock the pool while the CYA builds up this week or should I wait for the CYA to fully dissolve before Chlorinating?

Just to be different, I follow the directions on the container of stabilizer and pour it slowly into the skimmer where it makes it's merry way to the filter. The stabilizer that I buy are little granules, not powder or pucks. I just can't backwash for a couple of days (no worry, since I hardly ever backwash as I get almost no pressure rise over the season).

You need to get some chlorine in right away and after a day or two, I believe that you treat the pool as if all the CYA has dissolved even though it may not have. (Guru's please correct of that is not correct). You also need to check your pH. What kind of test kit do you have? If you stick with the BBB method, you will need a better test kit than is readily available at local pool stores. The TF-100 is offered by a member of this site and it is an awesome kit... it will give you POWER! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahh... you're welcome. I'm now imagining you in your long white CYA socks... perhaps with Birkenstocks. YEAH!

I sent my dreary your way so you won't miss swimming in your pool today while you work on it... in your socks and Birkenstocks. :party: :whip:

LOL about the socks ... I have to open the container to see if it's granulated or powder (definitely not pucks). As for my test kit, I have a TF-100 and I'm looking forward to testing the water this evening. Pool gets full sun all day and today is a hot one, so I'm going to add in shock level chlorine since it will mostly dissipate with this heat/sun without the CYA in the pool.

I have done the in the skimmer to the filter application. I like being able to see it has dissolved. It still won't show up in tests they say for around a week never tested earlier. After application you are to dose your chlorine as if it were there refer to the cya/chlorine chart in pool school.

I'm pretty sure granulated and powder are about the same thing. Doesn't matter, it's crumbly. CYA doesn't really come in puck form, but chlorine does, it's called tri-chlor and these pucks contain CYA. Apparently the CYA is a binding agent of sorts so that chlorine gas can be stabilized in a solid form. Chlorine gas suspended in water is liquid chlorine (bleach).

Don't do anything till you test it with your new kit. When you add cya, if you use the pool calculator it will be accurate. So whatever ppm CYA you add, go ahead and use that number in the calculator. If you see over .5ppm of combined chlorine from the test tonight, shock (to assumed CYA level, squish the sock for a few hours tonight). If you don't have combined chlorine, just add bleach to hit target. Check tomorrow morning before the sun comes up, if you have lost less than 1ppm FC you're good to go. Again, no need to shock.

You'll want to test and adjust ph if needed as well. Probably before you do anything else except add the CYA.

CYA comes in powder or liquid or as a binder for trichlor pucks. It would take a while to get enough CYA to protect the pool from pucks so we only use those for vacations or when we only need a little more CYA. Liquid CYA is expensive so most folks get the powder. Dumping it in a sock hanging it by a return or in the skimmer basket is the preferred method around here. Squeeze the sock a few times a day and it will dissolve in no time, and you can backwash or vacuum as needed. Bring your chlorine up to the recommended level as if the CYA you added is present in your pool. You can perform an overnight chlorine loss test to see if the pool needs to go through the shock process.

OK, I have two old socks, ready for battle ;)

I think if my CYA is granular (still haven't opened yet), I'm going to sock one and pour the other into the basket and if it's powder, socking both. I plan on hanging the sock(s) next to the skimmer mouth and return jet so that they get good flow and agitation to help dissolve quicker. I have my first 3 bottles of Bleach (182oz.) handy and plan on a target CYA of 40 and FC of 6 (basically, 1 182oz. jug).

My pool store carries stabilizer in puck form as well. They are blue and about the size of a hockey puck. Definitely just stabilizer, not chlorine + stabilizer. They take forever to dissolve, though, which is why I like the granular poured into the skimmer.

The pucks look like this..

http://discounterspoolandspa.com/Store/ ... 39C65.aspx

Holy Cow! The two socks that I filled and hung by the turn jet are like 70% dissolved already! Granted, I agitated them greatly (rolled them around in my hands), and I know there are no holes in the socks ... just didn't think it would go that fast. I tested the water as well, but I will start a new thread about that, thanks for the input folks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.