Sight Glass Leaking

capone

Jul 6, 2011
I just returned home from vacation and discovered a leak where the slight glass screws into the sand filter. Is this an easy repair? (I'm quite the novice when it comes to do it yourself pool maintenance). Is there a gasket or seal that has gone bad? I'd rather try to fix it myself than call an expert. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of filter do you have? From the description it sounds like a Hayward. If so, I don't believe there is a seal there, but a couple of turns of teflon tape ought to seal it.

Is water leaking out during normal operation or just during backwashing?

I have a Club Pro, which is either - made by Hayward, or was bought by Hayward and they just stamp there name on the label. Anyway, there is a larg flat o-ring that goes into the hole that the sight glass is screwed into. Just unscrew your sight glass and have a look for that. Otherwise I guess teflon tape would work.

If it's leaking during normal operation, you might have some other problem. Normally, nothing flows past the sight glass except when backwashing. Maybe your multiport valve isn't...umm...multiporting?? properly.

Thank you, I unscrewed it, and didn't see any "flat-0-ring" inside could that just need replaced...would that mean the spider gasket or whatever that is in the multiport valve could be bad as well? Like I said, I'm a novice and would like to save a little money by trying to fix this myself but I don't want to start tearing things apart until I know at least a little what I'm looking for. (I'm also a wife trying to fix this for my husband) We have a 25,000 gallon in-ground, with hayward sand filter if that helps at all.

Can you post some pics? I'll do the same when I get home - so you can see the gasket I'm talking about. Maybe yours is missing.

The other possibility (my inlaws had this) is that the plastic around the sightglass itself is cracked. If this is the case, it might not be a problem with the multiport valve operation itself or a gasket. With my inlaws, the cracked housing leaked in every mode (filter, backwash, recirc etc.).

I really appreciate your help! I tried to take some pics...I hope they came out well enough for you to see the problem. I took one when the filter is off (sight glass in place), and a couple with sight glass out . Hope this helps!

Attachments

• SDC11366.JPG
    SDC11366.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 279
  • SDC11365.JPG
    SDC11365.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 217
  • SDC11364.JPG
    SDC11364.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 220
Yes it is leaking during normal filter mode. I wondered if it was the spider gasket that needed replaced. I will do that this evening and see if that fixes the problem. This is the first time posting on this site and I really appreciate everyones help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, the hubby just got home so I had him take the multi port valve off and remove the spider gasket...he's up getting a replacement now. Will let you know if that was the issue or not. Thanks again for everyones help.

Ugh, now the multiport valve is leaking at the top. It looked like there was only one way to re-assemble it. Did we do something wrong? The spider gasket we replaced was actually the whole piece inside the multiport valve. They made it all one piece now instead of the gasket alone. Help!

The piece we bought was all one piece with the spider gasket already attached. I just gave up after numerous attempts and am having the pool company come out and install it correctly. Thanks for everyones help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.