Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water, SWG possible pump problem

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water, SWG possible pump problem

new pool owners, new to SWG. Pool water is getting more and more cloudy every day. Can barely make out the main drain. Might be starting to get a slight green hue but it may also be our imagination. We added 3 bags of shock yesterday with no improvement. 3 days ago used clarifier with no improvement. every morning there is some visible dirt collected on the bottom in areas. when we use the manual vac connected to the skimmer, you can see dirty water coming out of the return. better results when we use the polaris 380. Do we have a water balance issue or could this be due to filter malfunction since dirty water is coming out the return lines, or both? what would cause the dirt to be going straight back into the pool?

FC 5
    pH 7.8
    CYA 70
    TA 70
    Salt 3300
    CH 60

20x40 in ground concrete bottom/stainless steel sides; sand pump; circupool RJ series SWG; polaris 380
    30k gal, IG plaster epoxy paint and stainless steel sides, built ~1980, sand filter, TF-100, SWG Circupool RJ-45, Dolphin M400.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: cloudy water, SWG possible pump problem

I don't want to sound like Captain Obvious, but what is your filter pressure? Pump basket clean? Impeller clogged? Skimmer Baskets empty?
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

3. Back To Top    #3

How did you get those numbers?
    Can you perform and OCLT?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

filter pressure is 6 psi, everything is clean. We do need captain obvious.

I am using the HTH kit from wal mart. I don't know what OCLT is.
    30k gal, IG plaster epoxy paint and stainless steel sides, built ~1980, sand filter, TF-100, SWG Circupool RJ-45, Dolphin M400.

5. Back To Top    #5

You really need a good test kit.
    OCLT is the overnight chorine loss test. There's an article in pool school about it. Also there's a link in my sig to it.
    You need to run it and pass it. If you can't, you need to shock. And shock is a process not some bag of something you get at the store.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit