Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PacFab FNS Plus (FNSP 60) DE Filter Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Katy, TX.

PacFab FNS Plus (FNSP 60) DE Filter Replacement

Well, my 11 year old PacFab De filter bit the dust over the weekend. It developed a crack in the lower section. The filter was approaching 30 psi when I discovered the leak. I tore the unit down, epoxied the crack both inside and out and let it cure overnight. When I put the filter back in service, and loaded it with new DE, everything was good. The following day, the crack started to weep. I expect the new DE material helped pack off the leak temporarily, but was displaced on the next start-up. The repair (band-aid) did buy me a few days which allowed me to locate a new filter. PacFab has been bought out by Pentair. I researched my alternatives, primarily Hayward and Pentair and bouht a new Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid DE Filter (60). I had read they were very similar to the PacFab model but were slighty shorter which required other users to shim them up with a tile and some minor piping changes. My install did not require any modifications whatsoever. It turned out to be a direct replacement. It did take alot of moving the unit around to start the connections on the the multiport union connections, but eventually all made-up leak tight. So, for all you PacFab, Purex Triton users, there is a direct replacement for your DE filter.
    Stay Cool and Enjoy,
    21,500 gal. IGP, Diamond Kote plaster, spa, and waterfall features, flagstone coping w/ flagstone/river pebble decking. Pentair NSFP 60 filter, 2-ea. 2 HP Whisper Flow pumps, 1-ea. 3/4 HP Hayward booster pump for Polaris 3900 cleaner, AquaLink RS6 controls, GoldLine SWG, T-15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: PacFab FNS Plus (FNSP 60) DE Filter Replacement

Good to know.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit