steps/ custom inground liner

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
I'm not sure if it is correct to start this new post, or attach it to one of my previous post, so feel free to move it!

We have just cleared our backyard and are zeroing in on getting started but now we are stumped again. Instead of traditional steps, we would like the shallow end (3ft) to have one long step the width of the pool. Originally, we were going to purchase a polar pool kit, but it seems that all of their inground pool kits come with steps that jet out. Our other option is purchasing a corner step but that is our last option. Now, we are considering bypassing a kit all together to get what we want. 15 years ago, our neighbor built a cinderblock walled pool with a liner. This would allow us to have the long step, however, that would involve ordering a custom liner. Basically, the step would be made and then the liner would go over it. Can anyone explain to me how I get a liner that goes OVER the steps? Do we build the whole pool and THEN order the liner? Scared to think about an open hole in my yard for 2 weeks+. I'm thinking that the liner would wear terribly at the outer corner of the steps. Also, it would seem that the liner would have so many more seams to go over the steps.

We would save thousands going the cinderblock route, but it would involve much more labor. Plus the step construction and the custom liner thing. I would love some input to help us decide which way to go.

Someone down the road has the exact pool that we would like. Theirs was installed by a pool contractor. He was very nasty when we tried to ask a few questions.

This pool thing involves SO much thinking. Too hot to think. I need a pool to cool off in first.

FYI, my next topic will be about auto covers if anyone wants to chime in early!

We went the liner-over-stairs route on our recently completed pool mainly because we did not like the look of the drop-in stairs. We also upgraded to the full end stairs and I think it was probably the best $1800 we spent. People seem to enjoy sitting and congregating/socializing on the stairs and this provides a large area to do so and others can still enter and exit the pool freely. I don't believe the liner needed to be custom ordered as my pool package (dimensions in my sig) was a standard offering.

fullstraightstep.gif

Our builder made our steps then ordered the liner to fit over them. They put 1/4 foam padding under the liner. Here is a picture of them before the liner was installed. They are 10 ft wide and people love to sit on them.

Attachments

• dig13.JPG
    dig13.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 227
My pool was not a DIY. I hired a local PB. The manufacturer he uses is Imperial Pools and my particular kit is the Legacy edition.

http://www.legacyeditionpools.com/

The stairs are constructed of steel and are built just like the wall panels. The components are secured using nuts and bolts with bracing placed strategically along the underside for support and anchored with a concrete collar. The pic I provided is from the website referenced above and not actually my pool, but mine look identical to that (right angle corners and all).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.