Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner and needs help with the levels and such

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner and needs help with the levels and such

I am new to this sight, but have some Questions about my new Above Ground 24' round vinyl pool.
    It has a sand filter, 13,000 gallons of water. Anyway I hope that I am posting this correctly. It did come with a tester, but it only test the Ph and CL-BR. Sometimes my ph is high and so is the CL then a few days later the ph is still hight but no CL. I understand that I must test for the Akalyne. I am purchasing another tester today that will have that. How do I keep the PH and CL always level? I check it every evening. Some days it is fine but we did have a lot of rain for awhile now it is extremely hot out and full of sunshine. I am guessing that the sun is taking away my Cl fast. I am purchasing some Bleach today, Baking Soda, And muratic Acid. Please Advise as to how much to add each day.
    Thanks I do need some help newby of a swimming pool.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: New pool owner and needs help with the levels and such

Head on over to Pool School. And don't buy any tester until you've read the article on test kits compared.

Chlorine is a consumable. It gets used up killing bacteria and oxidizing organics (like dead skin and sweat) as well as broken-down by UV rays from the sun. You will need to add daily or every other day, depending on your test results and pool usage.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP

Best bet would be to get your own quality test and 2nd best option until you do so is to post a full set of test results from the pool store.

Reading needed to fine tune your water are FC, CC, PH, TA, CH and CYA.

Below are the kits we recommend using, I prefer the TF100

24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much for your replies I appreciate that very much. I am purchasing a new test kit now. As soon as I get it and my results I shall post them more accurately.
    Doglady Thank you again.