Jandy AquaPure 1400 121 Error Code

Jul 6, 2011
Hi all,

First post, but I've done a bit of searching before posting and now have a question.

I have a 5 year old Jandy AquaPure 1400 cell that is throwing a 121 code. Prior to learning (via this forum) that the control center would display a code, I noticed the "General Fault" message on the remote and removed/cleaned the cell, twice. Each time quite a bit of scale fell from the cell and there was fairly vigorous bubbling. The system continued to throw the General Fault message, so I tried to clean the cell a third time, with virtually no reaction at all. The plates look fairly clean. There are a couple with persistent buildup, but even those have large areas of clear surface, at least to the eye.

Last night I did more research here, and this morning I removed the sensor and "cleaned" it with a scuff pad. It looked clean already, but I hit it with the scoff pad anyway. Needless to say, it did not cure the error message. The pump and cell are currently running and it is throwing the 121 code.

Time for a new cell?

Thanks,

Chris

A 121 error can occur for a number of different reasons: dirty cell, damaged cell, bad cell cable, low salt level, cell wearing out due to age, or damaged power supply.

What is the salt level according to the AquaPure, and have you tested the salt level some other way?

Currently the AP says 3200. Water test performed yesterday at Warehouse Pool Supply says 3400, but I also had a high hardness value so I did a slight drain/fill in order to bring both down.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a Jandy 1400 cell that I think is more than 5 years old (I just bought the house) When I started the pool this summer, it threw the 121 code. I cleaned my cell a few times as you did, no change, intermittent codes.

When I really looked close at my cell, it turned out my cell was pretty much completely choked with white calcium deposits. Only the plates down the center of the unit had good flow. All the other plates were clogged. It took me hours with a thin welding rod to chip out all the calcium. End the end I used my small power washer to really blow water through the cell and blast out all the calcium. I figured I may have damaged my unit will all the chipping and power washing, but I didn't, it has been working for 2 months with no 121 codes.

Now I think my cell may have been plugged for years and not really generating chlorine. So maybe that is why it started working again.

So make sure you have the plates on the outer edge of the cell clear of calcium deposits and maybe your unit will have some life left in it. But if all the plates are completely clear, then I would venture a guess that your unit may be at the end of its life.

Charlie.

Hi Sanger440,

Most of the plates are completely clear of scale. There is a small amount remaining on two of the central plates, on the flat surfaces and concentrated around their perimeters. Maybe I should try a pressure wash and/or mechanical removal of that last bit of scale?

Chris

Well, it is your call. I would hate for you to damage your cell if it is still working.

In my case, I figured I was getting a new cell anyway. And it was the perimiter plates that were really clogged and needed a lot of labor to clear. But once I got all the plates 99% unplugged, my cell really started producing a lot of chlorine. And the power washer is what really did the trick. A hose sprayer may be enough to jar your calcium deposits loose if you do not have a power washer. A thin rod (I used braze/welding rod) helped with the really hard stuff too.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In response to:

Never mind. I ordered one just now. $550 including shipping...

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chris

Chris,

I seem to have the same problem discussed inthis thread. Do you mind telling me where you got your new cell? I also purchased a house with the pool already installed, with Jandy parts. My cell is an older model, with two nuts on the ends, and a plug on the top. It seems like the new ones have 3 ports on them, the third one being for the sensor. My unit has the sensor further down the PVC.

Little help? I'm looking for a site where I can buy all my pool supplies from here on out. I can search and search, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for you help.

Ben

jmclar1 said:
Chris,

I seem to have the same problem discussed inthis thread. Do you mind telling me where you got your new cell? I also purchased a house with the pool already installed, with Jandy parts. My cell is an older model, with two nuts on the ends, and a plug on the top. It seems like the new ones have 3 ports on them, the third one being for the sensor. My unit has the sensor further down the PVC.

Little help? I'm looking for a site where I can buy all my pool supplies from here on out. I can search and search, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for you help.

Ben

I ordered mine from www.vminnovations.com

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.