Pump size advice, to large?

Jun 20, 2011
Hi guys,

Again I need help. I have been doing more research on the site and I am finding my pool is probably closer to 15,000 gallons than 17,000. The chemical checks give me better results using the 15k gallon.

I have been looking at other people's setup and it seems like my filter and pump combination is very large for my pool. I have a 2hp Jandy pump and the 420 sq foot cartridge filter from Pentair. Does that seem normal?

Also, I am considering changing the pool over to a SWCG system and I am wondering if a 2 speed pump would work out better for that application or my pool in general. I am currently running the pump 12 hours/day. I would like to go to the 2 speed pump and I'm comfortable with basic plumbing and electrical but I am intimidated by the fact that the Aqualink system is there and it would have to be connected to it.

Thanks everyone!

It is nice to have a large filter like that. A large filter is more efficient and goes longer between cleanings. That pump is way too large for the pool alone, but if you also use it with the spa then it may need to be that size. Getting a two speed pump would allow you to save a substantial amount of money on electricity running the pump.

12 hours a day is probably way too much pump run time, given the large single speed pump. I would try cutting that in half to start with, and then see if you can go lower from there.

With an AquaLink, there are some advantages to getting a, AquaPure/PureLink/Clormatic SWG, so it will integrate well with the AquaLink. Other brands of SWG will work, but they won't be integrated with the AquaLink, which makes things just a little less convenient.

Thanks JasonLion!!

I do have a spa, which may explain why they went with the 2hp. There's also an identical 2hp pump that runs 2 sheer decents on the pool. They are off most of the time.

Thanks for the tips on those SWG systems, I will start researching them.

• If I install a 2 speed pump will the AquaLink allow me to switch it back and forth when needed?[/*:m:3qetq15k]
  • Could I run it for a few hours/day at low then have it switch to high so I can run the Polaris 360?[/*:m:3qetq15k]
  • Should I run the pump at night or 3 hours during sunlight then 3 hours at night? I add chemicals in the evening after work, usually around 8pm.[/*:m:3qetq15k]

Thanks again,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.