Bonding Question - New Patio; AG Pool

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I will have an AG pool (Intex now, permanent later) that will abut a soon-to-be-poured "sun deck" patio. It will also be close to a soon-to-be-poured patio under a cover. The sun deck and covered part are right next to each other. My question is:

1. if it were you, would you bond both? Or is it completely okay to just bond the sun deck since there will be a spacer/separator of some sort between them and since the pool will be six feet from the covered patio?

2. If you think it is okay to just bond the sun deck, can they pour the covered patio tomorrow and then come back to bond and pour the sun deck next week (when the electrician is first available)? In a recent post (in Pool bonding - Not so Good), I saw PoolGuyNJ write:
"NEC-2008 codes and later require the deck to have a conductive mat, either copper grid mesh or steel rebar, 3' out, regardless of the pool type or deck type. This mat must be attached in multiple places, usually 4 or more points, around the pool." . . . So, does that mean that to bond the sun deck, they'd need to put rebar 3' into the covered patio part? That would seem to defeat the separator suggested by my concrete guy and I think agreed to by my electrical codes people, but also, would mean they can't pour the covered patio as planned, tomorrow.

Here is a very rough diagram -- ignore most of the text. I would have them bond "B" and "C" and not "A" unless that either can't be done (ie, the 3' of rebar thing) or if people think even if code would allow that, I should go beyond and bond A. The green part (A) is the covered patio. The gray part (C) is the sun deck. The gray part in the corner (B) will likely be a third pour under the AC and near the electrical meter but this can't be done until my service line is replaced.

Please tell me what you would do if it were yours, not just what the minimum code requirement under the NEC is. My current Intex pool is exempt from bonding per our local codes, but our next, permanent AG will need to meet code. Regardless, I want to do what is wisest (without being needlessly over-done) to protect my family and friends.

Attachments

• EPSON007.jpg
    EPSON007.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 129
The only part of the patio/deck that needs to be bonded is the portion within 3 feet of the water. From what I see in your diagram, that means that only a portion of C needs to be bonded.

It is fine to leave A and B un-bonded, as they are both more than 3 feet from the water. No special provision to separate A and C is required because of bonding, though an expansion joint is probably a good idea unrelated to bonding. It is common to have bonding end in the middle of a single pour deck, since the extra expense of bonding is not required beyond 3 feet.

Thanks, Jason. I forgot to include in the diagram that the pool equipment will likely be placed next to "B" along the back wall (garage) at the rear of what is labeled "garden." Does this change anything? It think my codes people and electrician have been planning to bond all of "C" and "B" -- is that because of where pool equipment will be?

(As an aside, I will soon be seeking input as to where to place pool equipment, but for now the back of the garden area is the plan).

The equipment it's self needs to be bonded, but the concrete underneath the equipment does not need to be bonded. Bonding more deck than is required is harmless. It may or may not even be an extra expense, depending on how they were going to reinforce the deck.

THanks, Jason. Figured out sprinkler valve boxes are within a foot of where I intend the pool. Any bonding issue there? I sort of wish I had never heard the term "bonding."

The box it's self is fine. If the box is metal it will need to be bonded, if it is plastic it will be fine. However, if the valves are electrically controlled they can't be within five feet horizontally of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.