Intex 18x48 easy set pump upgrade

Rowski

Jul 5, 2011
Northern VT
What a wonderful site! Great info! Pool school is awesome!

I current have a 1500 pump with an "A" style filter. My pump is very noisy, which from searching post is not common. Doesn't really seem to circulate the water well. I mean its working. Seems like it struggles with the skimmer hooked up. Also gets air bound after about 4 to 5 hours of use with skimmer.

What would be a good replacement pump that would be a direct replacement, ie plug and play? I would like to get into a sand filter and larger pump. Good idea or not with a easy set pool?

Many thanks!

Many TFP members have the same type of pool and have modified them to accept standard above ground pool equipment. You will have much better performance with a larger pump and filter. If you are concerned about making modifications, the intex pump and sand filter combo have given satisfactory results.

Go to the google box at the bottom left of this page and search "census of intex users". That will bring up a thread with a lot of intex pool info.

Thanks for the "census of intex users" reference. Lots of info I still need to read.

The pool has been up for only a few days. Pump just does have enough suction to use the skimmer that came with the pool kit. Eventually the suction stops (due to air??) and the hole strainer assembly starts to float and then it to late. This early morning I removed the skimmer and installed the original blues strainer cover. 6hrs later the pump is still pumping. But very noisy. I cracked the venting valve on the filter just slightly and no air came out. With the skimmer hooked up I always had a little spur of air.

I really don't want to spend more money than I have too. But I think this easy set pool we will grow out of very quickly. Fortunately we picked this pool set new in the box at very very good deal. I'm very hand and crafty so set up was not trouble. Even the chemicals seem to be doing well, thanks to Pool School.

Questions:

Maybe just an Intex sand filter pump 2500 gph for now. When we get a larger pool get the pump/filter then? Or Should I get a larger non-Intex pump now for not much more money if available??

Any other thoughts or sugestions??

Thanks again....

Some folks have had good luck finding used above ground pumps and filters on craigslist. If you are planning to use this pool for only a couple of years and move on to a bigger pool, then I would look for a good deal on a used 3/4 or 1 hp pump and a sand filter.

Depending on where you shop, you will find the intex pump/sand filter combo for $149.00-$199.00. It should come with the hoses and adapters needed to connect it to the pool. If you get a non-intex pump and filter you will need adapters and new hoses or pipes to connect it to the pool.

Many thanks.... :cheers:

My pump is currently working. So I have decided to use it with out a skimmer and manually skim the pool. Cleaned the "paper" filter tonight after 2.5 days was dirty but not plugged. I can see where cleaning would become a real pain. Gotta get a sand filter!

I'm looking for a used set up to see if any deals can be had. I have read some of the threads regarding the modification of PVC bushing and such to make more universal fit.

My wife stopped in at the pool store to see about water testing till my test kit arrives. She saw an Intex sand filter 2100 gph at a pool store for $300 they would include the sand. I called them later to ask some questions about it, warranty, etc. The person (who admitted they did not know, much covering for some one who was sick) said it was a 2600 gph pump. Looking on line a Intex 2100 can be had for quite a bit cheaper than the $300. But the Intex 2600 was closer but not far off because of no shipping and the included sand. I have found some threads that state the 2100 and 2600 pumps are the same?? But I have not read through it all.

I guess I'll see what can be found used if anything. I'll also will get to the pool store and see what's up with the pump size.

Thanks all!!

I got the Intex sand filter pump 2500 gpm. Got it from the pool store rather than on line. I was able to get it up and running this weekend. Yes I could have saved some money but I would had to have waited.

Works great! Well worth it. Beats cleaning that 'lil filter everyday.

Skimmer works good now. The mounting could use some improvement but that not the pumps fault.

Chemicals are coming along currently raising the CYA well see what the number look like on the weekend. Using the BBB method.

Got some other questions, will start another thread.

Again many thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.