Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 Day Replaster

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

3 Day Replaster

So a client of mine asked about the grey spots and yellow spots in the bottom of her pool. I told her it was time to replaster it. She said the condo was rented Memorial Day week, then a week off and then rented the rest of the year, so we'd have to do it next spring. The spots on the bottom really stressed her out so, Monday after Memorial Day, I went to work. This might not seem like a big deal to some people but keep in mind, I'm the only person in my company. So this was a ME, MYSELF & I job.

Start

Grout removed and tile undercut, all before the water was drained from pool.

Drained and ready for chipping.

Shotty work to say the LEAST. Come on, plaster thinner then a piece of cardboard.

Day 1 Complete.

Day 2 After the sun baked the crappy plaster job, more & more of the walls were just flaking off.

End of Day 2, I finished after dark so this is the AM of the plaster.

72 hours after start:

"When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 Day Replaster

Wow! That is a bunch of work in a short time.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

TY, I burnt the midnight oil a few days. My client was beside herself in amazement. Little did I know her daughter and grandchildren were the 1st to use the pool after it was replastered. The entire week I came back daily to check pH all I heard was compliments and "thank goodness, now the kids don't come out of the pool with bloody feet."

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you come to California and do mine ?
    15,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Pentair 2000 DE Filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure I would want to tackle that project alone... but it appears that you did a great job.

Greenhaw
    Freeform Gunite, 21K Gallons, Gray Plaster, 570 sq. ft., 106 Perimeter.
    Pentair- VS 3050, Intellichlor IC-40, 520 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite LED.
    Sun Touch Controller, Legend Platinum Cleaner with Pentair 1.5 hp Booster Pump.
    2- Bubblers & 2- Deck Jets. Autofill & Overflow. TF-100-Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Jimk
    Can you come to California and do mine ?
    Sure you buy the ticket and hotel room and it's on. Would have to be in my off season. LOL

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Green1340
    Not sure I would want to tackle that project alone... but it appears that you did a great job.

Greenhaw
    This wasn't my 1st rodeo. I've had a hand in replastering over 40. I'll have to dig up some other photos.

8. Back To Top    #8

What a great transformation. Can tell you take pride in your work.
    18x33 AGP, 17,300 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.5 HP 2 Speed Hayward Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Great job, we love pics!!!!
    http://www.circledspecialties.com

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice job, then that doesn't look like such a big pool either. Wow, that was thin plaster. I looked at my pool when they demo'd the old plaster, I could tell the plaster was going to have to be pretty thick. In some area's it seemed they would need 3" of plaster to fill which was around the returns.

I was surprised how fast the project went, had they all been scheduled inline, it would have only taken 4 days at most, the longest step was going all the tile work which took them 2 days.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder
    Nice job, then that doesn't look like such a big pool either. Wow, that was thin plaster.
    Yes it's only a 12x24. Plaster was super thin. The PB built 5 on one block, all the exact same. I take care of 2 of the 5. One has already been replastered last year, I did this one, the one south of this is scheduled to be redone next spring and the one north of this one, well I'm trying to talk him in to it.

Just as a comparison, This one used 3 chlorine tablets last week. And had 5.0/7.5 when I checked it Saturday. The one north of this, used 6 tablets & required 2# shock. Tested at same time & it was 1.0/7.5. Both same pools, correctly balanced, but what a difference a smooth finish makes.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi! I'm a little late to reply but I just got onto this forum. I saw you were in SC and wondered if you would you ever consider driving to Charleston to replaster? Just curious. If not, can you recommend any reputable Charleston replaster folks? Thanks!-MW
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!