Above Ground Solar Cover Reel

pjiv said:
I ordered the GLI after talking to the company itself. Very helpful and took time on the phone to answer ALL my questions. I'll post a review after I receive the product.
I assume it does, but the link you gave didn't say if the GLI would swing away from the pool or not.
Did you happen to ask that or do you know?

Thats the one I have!! I love it just for the fact that it is easier than folding the cover like we used to do. I can take it completely off or simply swing it away to 1 side of the pool.

Discobrian24 said:
To swing it u just pull the pins and leave 1 end in. Pick up the other and move it. Mine has the 3 inch pole. It sags a little. I think with the 4 inch tube it would be better.

I am really close to pulling the trigger on this and it is great that I can get some first hand reviews prior to purchasing. How bad is the sag? is the 3" or 4" pole an option, or does it depend on the size of the pool? My pool is 27' and I am worried about the sag. I have tried just about every 'local' option I can find to piece together some sort of home made solar cover reel, but all my pipe/pole options sagged way too much to be of much use. I think I have the wife talked into this, but I will never hear the end of it if I get it and it doesn't make our 'life with a solar cover' easier and allow her to get it off and on either by herself or at least let her get it off by herself. I am afraid that too much sag would make it difficult for her to turn and get it rolled up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 27' pool and you WILL get the 4" pole with the 28' kit. The best price is from http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers....round_Solar_Reel_System_--SKU_GLI4376428.html They shipped in 1 day. The company is awesome to deal with (GLI I mean). All of these reel systems do not like 16mil super solar covers, or the ones with irregular shaped bubbles. I only have the upgraded round solar cover so it's not a worry for me. I will let you know how it is after I install it.

PS. Use coupon code "COUPSUMMER005" to save an additional $5.00

barnyard,

offtopic but I think your gallons on your pool is not correct. I have a foot less then you and I did not dig mine out, I have 1000 more gallons then you? This could throw your calculations off for your chemicials.

Thanks. I have never been really able to figure it out. My pool is only scooped out to around 5 feet in the middle and slopes up to around 3 1/2 feet near the walls. You have 54" walls so maybe that is where the difference is? Going be chemical additions and the pool calculator, it seems that I am only about 200 or so gallons off and that varies +/- depending on what I am adding, so I figured I was close enough.

BTW, I got my shipping confirmation also. They were fast shipping it. Thanks for finding that place/price. All the other places were much higher. Let's hope this works for both of us. :)

Have you received your reel yet? I got mine on Tuesday. Glad I pulled the trigger before the price went up. I will be trying to install today/this weekend. I have a space situation and am still trying to figure out how to mount and use it. Just wondering how you are doing with it.

Same here, installing it today, actually as soon as the help arrives.

Got it installed took longer than I thought, about 3 hours. My wife can turn and swing this, see takes it easy and takes some breaks. She is 5' and ~100lbs so... It has very minimal sag. I like it so far. Unrolling is mush easier in the pool with 2 people as both sides roll at the same time, if you just pull one side the other tends to pull under the wrong way as well. I guess I'll have to get used to this. I got it for safety for the kids. Nice so far! My weather cap was broke off one mount, I'll call and get that fixed next week. Overall I'm happy with it.

I got mine installed this weekend also. No help though. Since I had no room to swing the monster off of the pool, I installed it off of one end. Again, because of space I had to place it right on the edge of the railing. I didn't get it high enough. I cut my posts level with the railing. When I rolled the cover up, it started binding against the railing. Sooooo, time to raise it up some so that won't happen. Iguess maybe some wood blocks, or most likely new posts. Of course, the straps that came with it were pre-cut and all but one was too short to use. I sacrificed a couple of cheap tie downs for some webbing and will have to find a place that sells it and make some more. I only have 5 straps on it so far. I find that it does have a fair amount of sag. Most noticable when unrolling the cover back onto the pool. You have to overcome that 'hump' on each turn. Otherwise, I am hoping that raising it and getting more straps on it will make it work for us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.