Cell or current resistor (limiter)

Jul 5, 2011
I've been reading a lot of posts about cells going bad and current resistors going bad. My question is, what are the symptoms of each? My MS-10 with T-cell 15 stopped generating chlorine. However, how do I tell which of the two might be causing the problem? My voltage is around 25.5 and my amps are around 5.5. That seems within the normal range from what I've read. However, others reporting the current resistor seem to report a very low amperage. My cell is about 5 years old. Obviously replacing the current resistor would be cheaper. But it'll just waste time if that's not the issue. Do my readings eliminate that possibility?

BTW, great site!

Welcome to TFP!

When one of the parts in the control panel burns out you almost always get a salt level of zero and amps of zero.

Why do you say that it has stopped generating chlorine? It is completely possible for the chlorine level in the pool to be zero even when the SWG is working perfectly if you have some other problem like a low level algae issue or a very low CYA level.

Hmmm, I have my water tested regularly by our local pool store and most of the reports read either a CYA of "0" or "Not Tested". If CYA is so important, why are they not testing for it or saying something if "0"? I did find a report with 30 and another with 60, but both of those were last year. BTW, my water seems otherwise clear, but my chlorine levels have been between 1.1 and 1.4 (both total and free are the same) and that's with my SWG at 100% 24/7.

In order to help diagnosis this correctly we have to look at everything. You need to post a full set of test results and how ouy got them.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Salt

You also need to tell us about your equipment and if this problem just started or has been ongoing.

How long have you been having to run the cell at 100% 24/7?

Bama Rambler said:
In order to help diagnosis this correctly we have to look at everything. You need to post a full set of test results and how ouy got them.
pH 7.4
FC 1.4
CC 0
TA 103
CH 208 (TH - don't have CH)
CYA Not Tested
Salt 2800

You also need to tell us about your equipment and if this problem just started or has been ongoing.
23k gal, vinyl, 1 HP Centurion, Sta-Rite sand filter, MS-10 with T-15 cell

How long have you been having to run the cell at 100% 24/7?
See my responses above. I got these readings from the local pool store

I ran for 2 full weeks and FC/TC went from 1.1 to 1.4.

Also I read the MS-10 values and posted below:
1. Temp - 84
2. Cell voltage - 25.5
3. Cell current - 5.46
4. output % - 100P
5. salinity - -2500
6 product name - AL-2
7. Software revision level - r 1.40

Your salt level is a little low. You should raise the salt level a little. But I doubt that the salt level has anything to do with your current problem.

Your problem is almost certainly caused by CYA either being too low (most likely) or too high (less likely but still possible).

I meant to post an update about a week ago that you guys were absolutely right. I've brought my CYA up to 40 and now my chlorine levels are at 8.1. Everything seemed to be working perfectly for the last couple of weeks. Now all of the sudden, my mineral levels *seem* to have dropped suddenly. My minerals were showing 2700 so I put in 40 pounds of salt. The next day it was reading 2400. Now a few days later it's down to 1900. I just took a sample to my pool store today for a reading and it reads 2900. All the other readings are similar to above.

So is it possible my cell is bad after all? The voltage and amps still seem good. I cleaned the cell about 2 months ago. Is it possible it could need another cleaning? Again, it's the Bioguard Mineral Springs MS-10. Is there a way I can recalibrate the mineral readings? It won't generate chlorine with such a low reading so I'm dead in the water until I figure this out.

Thanks for all your replies!

Rick

But when the mineral counts were up, it was generating chlorine just fine. Is there a way I can override the reading? I'm in a northern climate and only have about a month of good pool time left. If I could limp along another month and deal with it next year I'd be happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.