Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cell or current resistor (limiter)

1. Back To Top    #1

Cell or current resistor (limiter)

I've been reading a lot of posts about cells going bad and current resistors going bad. My question is, what are the symptoms of each? My MS-10 with T-cell 15 stopped generating chlorine. However, how do I tell which of the two might be causing the problem? My voltage is around 25.5 and my amps are around 5.5. That seems within the normal range from what I've read. However, others reporting the current resistor seem to report a very low amperage. My cell is about 5 years old. Obviously replacing the current resistor would be cheaper. But it'll just waste time if that's not the issue. Do my readings eliminate that possibility?

BTW, great site!
    23k gal, vinyl, 1 HP Centurion, Sta-Rite sand filter, MS-10 with T-15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cell or current resistor (limiter)

Welcome to TFP!

When one of the parts in the control panel burns out you almost always get a salt level of zero and amps of zero.

Why do you say that it has stopped generating chlorine? It is completely possible for the chlorine level in the pool to be zero even when the SWG is working perfectly if you have some other problem like a low level algae issue or a very low CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm, I have my water tested regularly by our local pool store and most of the reports read either a CYA of "0" or "Not Tested". If CYA is so important, why are they not testing for it or saying something if "0"? I did find a report with 30 and another with 60, but both of those were last year. BTW, my water seems otherwise clear, but my chlorine levels have been between 1.1 and 1.4 (both total and free are the same) and that's with my SWG at 100% 24/7.

4. Back To Top    #4

In order to help diagnosis this correctly we have to look at everything. You need to post a full set of test results and how ouy got them.
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Salt

You also need to tell us about your equipment and if this problem just started or has been ongoing.

How long have you been having to run the cell at 100% 24/7?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    In order to help diagnosis this correctly we have to look at everything. You need to post a full set of test results and how ouy got them.
    pH 7.4
    FC 1.4
    CC 0
    TA 103
    CH 208 (TH - don't have CH)
    CYA Not Tested
    Salt 2800

You also need to tell us about your equipment and if this problem just started or has been ongoing.

How long have you been having to run the cell at 100% 24/7?
    See my responses above. I got these readings from the local pool store

I ran for 2 full weeks and FC/TC went from 1.1 to 1.4.

Also I read the MS-10 values and posted below:
    1. Temp - 84
    2. Cell voltage - 25.5
    3. Cell current - 5.46
    4. output % - 100P
    5. salinity - -2500
    6 product name - AL-2
    7. Software revision level - r 1.40

6. Back To Top    #6

Your salt level is a little low. You should raise the salt level a little. But I doubt that the salt level has anything to do with your current problem.

Your problem is almost certainly caused by CYA either being too low (most likely) or too high (less likely but still possible).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Just X2ing what Jason said. Raise your CYA and add a little salt.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I meant to post an update about a week ago that you guys were absolutely right. I've brought my CYA up to 40 and now my chlorine levels are at 8.1. Everything seemed to be working perfectly for the last couple of weeks. Now all of the sudden, my mineral levels *seem* to have dropped suddenly. My minerals were showing 2700 so I put in 40 pounds of salt. The next day it was reading 2400. Now a few days later it's down to 1900. I just took a sample to my pool store today for a reading and it reads 2900. All the other readings are similar to above.

So is it possible my cell is bad after all? The voltage and amps still seem good. I cleaned the cell about 2 months ago. Is it possible it could need another cleaning? Again, it's the Bioguard Mineral Springs MS-10. Is there a way I can recalibrate the mineral readings? It won't generate chlorine with such a low reading so I'm dead in the water until I figure this out.

Thanks for all your replies!

Rick

9. Back To Top    #9

It sounds like your cell may indeed be on the way out. It very possibly needs cleaning again. Some people have to clean their cells more than every couple of months.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

But when the mineral counts were up, it was generating chlorine just fine. Is there a way I can override the reading? I'm in a northern climate and only have about a month of good pool time left. If I could limp along another month and deal with it next year I'd be happy.