water seems cloudy

duanrt

Jun 15, 2011
I am still a newbie and need some help. The water seems cloudy (grey and not clear) but the testing numbers seem good. How can I make the water crystal clear?

The pool company opened the pool 3 weeks ago and did the shocking. I tested the water using TF-100 kit 3 days later and the numbers were:
FC 25
PH 7.3
TA 150
CH 240
CYA 60

After about one week, the water became crystal clear, but the FC was still over 10.

Two days ago, I re-tested the water and here were the new numbers:
FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4
PH 7.4
TA 160
CH 190
CYA 60

At that time the water was a little cloudy, but I think those numbers were good, so I started to jump in the pool for the first time since I bought this old house and over 30-year old Plaster pool. After enjoyed for 2 days-swimming (only my wife and I had a total of 2-3 hours' swimming), I added 3-4 inch high water (the pool volume is about 18000 gallon) into the pool, and added about 200 oz 6% bleach trying to bring FC to 10.

However, the pool still looks cloudy after 2 days and it turns a little worse. I did not see any blue/green stuff in the pool, and the water looks clear when I take a cup of it and watch, but the pool is just cloudy, and it is a little bit hard to watch to the bottom of the pool (about 12 feet deep).

Over the past 3 weeks since the pool opened, I let the filter ran about 8 hours per day, ran Polaris 380 a couple of hours every 2-3 days, and take off the leaves daily.

I think the numbers look good except that TA is a little higher and the FC decreased a lot.

What I need to do to bring the pool back to crystal clear? Do I need add more bleach to shocking level?

Thanks!

Keep your FC level on the high end (closer to target) for your CYA level and increase your pump run time and see if that helps before shocking I think. Have you backwashed the filter?

duraleigh said:
woody and I are thinking alike tonight. Keep the FC around 5-7ppm, run pump 24/7 and backwash filter if you have not done so.

I just added another 60 oz bleach into the pool. I will let the pump run a long time and see if this will help. I did the backwash in the first week, but the pressure is still about 9 (the pool guy said I need to backwash when it is 13). I will try backwash tomorrow. The last thing I can do maybe bring FC to shocking level. But the weather is too hot these days, I hope I do not do the shocking since it takes 2 weeks to drop to swimmable level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.