Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Long using BBB (no SWG) long term evaluations

1. Back To Top    #1

How Long using BBB (no SWG) long term evaluations

Would like to hear from some old 'salt's that have used BBB for say 3 or more years running chlorine and not salt system.

Any liner shrinkage/brittleness vs same period with chlorine
    Any negatives over the long term vs long term chlorine use
    premature degradation of pool equipment/hoses from running higher FC levels and Borax

I have moved to BBB and loving it so far, but folks tell me liquid chlorine is bad, I don't buy that but would like some long term users to comment. I have read a lot of posts here which convinced me to switch.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Long using BBB (no SWG) long term evaluations

6 years with no issues. Same trunks I had when we built the pool. As soon as the chlorine mixes with the water, it's chemically identical to other forms of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

It is important that you add bleach correctly, pour slowly in front of a return with the pump running and keep the pump running for at least 30 minutes after any addition.

Many commercial pools use liquid chlorine, which is exactly the same stuff as bleach but more concentrated, and quite a few of them have been doing so for many decades.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine is chlorine. One type of chlorine is no different than any other type of chlorine once it's in the pool. The only difference is application specifics. You'd never throw tablets in the pool and let them sit on the bottom nor should you pour bleach directly on the bottom and let it sit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I've had my pool since 2004. Been using BBB for about 4 years, with pucks used during vacations and start up to increase CYA levels. My liner was faded from the use of the puck chlorinator by my 2nd season. This year my pool water has been the clearest, less problematic EVER! I add one jug of 182oz of bleach every other day, use polyquat weekly, and have only had to "shock" my pool 2x this year (opening, and after using Yellow Kleer for mustard algae).
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

This is my third year using BBB, but gotta say I love it. My water is so crystal clear that I was able to see a stupid stink bug laying on the bottom( oh, how I hate those things). I switch between walmart bleach (6%) and liquid chlorine (12.5) and have had NO issues. Water is always clear, never had algae, ph and alk stay within normal range, all I have to do is spend 5 minutes or so an evening adding chlorine and run my other test once a week. Easy as pie. I faded my liner a little during my conversion (but that was my fault)..I was soo excited to be doing the conversion that I just couldn't wait for the test kit and started dumping bleach, but it's still not bad, just a little lighter and no brittleness whatsoever. I don't know what I would have done if I had not found this site and all the wonderful people who taught me to manage my pool!
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is important that you add bleach correctly, pour slowly in front of a return with the pump running and keep the pump running for at least 30 minutes after any addition.
    Ooops, I don't do this. Maybe I should? I have the same concerns as rjg202. I add the liquid chlorine slowly into the deepest parts of the pool without running the pump or keep it running for at least 30 minutes afterwards. I usually add it in the late evenings after testing FC and Ph or in the mornings before I go to work. No time to run the pump for 30 minutes. Will that damage anything?
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

8. Back To Top    #8

It's important that the chlorine, no matter what type, be mixed well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Bleach/liquid chlorine added when the pump is not running can "pool" on the bottom and damage the surface, just as granular chlorine added too quickly so that it piles up in one place can damage the surface.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks. I will be sure to add chlorine when the pump is on and keep it on for at least 30 minutes afterwards.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe