Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can my pool store be 'really' wrong

1. Back To Top    #1

Can my pool store be 'really' wrong

Ok, did some simple tests last weekend with TF100 and took sample to pool store. Variable is a 20 minute ride to pool store with sample

My #'s

FC 6
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    ALK 100

There #'s with Lamotte tester
    FC 2.1
    CC 0 a match
    PH 7.8
    ALK 110
    CYA 110

So why would I with drops be 3.9 ppm higher and ph .3 lower. I put a scoop of that powder in the vial at 10ml, could I be putting too much, are my drops to small(doubt it). My test with the Taylor FC/PH test was > 5 which leads me to believe my drop test is right. Can FC drop that much on a 20 minute ride in Air Conditioned Car? Store clerk saw me buying liquid shock (12%) and told me that I would raise PH by using that? I used to be in several times a week buying shock, now I have not shocked since going BBB, though I have not added Borax either, still uncomfortable with that. When I had a slight tinge of ping in my CC I spiked the chlorine overnight, not sure but I am adding about 20 oz a night and testing the next night and hold about the 5-6 range. Not sure what it is at in the am but I am guessing 6% takes me up 1 ppm.

Now for vacation, should I add 2-4 oz of PolyQ 60? I usually do 2 oz a week and have a neighbor watching the pool who also has pool.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can my pool store be 'really' wrong

When you get a chance, search for "Trust your own testing" on this forum. You should get about 10,000 hits!!

Please trust your results and disregard the pool store tests. No one at the pool stores cares about your pool water like you do and perhaps no on there even knows how to test as well as you do.

In short, trust your own testing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What duraleigh said. Period.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the same problem, I was mixing results with the pool store. BAD ME!
    Quit going to the store and just relied on my TF-100 and BAM! My pool did exactly what it was told to do.
    Perfect all the time now, I did find the sweet spot after about a month.
    My pool likes the TA at 80-90, my ph stays right on 7.5 all the time. When I had my TA up at 120, the PH would be swinging up a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

5. Back To Top    #5

Did the pool store rinse their vial with fresh water then pool water before testing? Did they carefully hold the reagent bottle upside down to be sure drops were uniform? Did they use a test strip, then run it through a black box that gave overly precise values?
    Trust your own testing.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Those pool store results aren't even THAT far off. This spring I tested my water just before a trip to the pool store to buy some DE for my filter. Just for giggles, I let them test my water. PH was dead-on 7.5 and CYA was 40 by my results. They came up with a PH of 8.5 and a CYA of 80. Of course they wanted to sell me some acid and a (really expensive!)miracle bottle of Phos-free to solve a problem that I didn't have.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Supertune summarized it very well. Rely on your testing and your results and your pool will behave predictably: trouble free!
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by supertune
    Quit going to the store and just relied on my TF-100 and BAM! My pool did exactly what it was told to do.
    My pool likes the TA at 80-90, my ph stays right on 7.5 all the time. When I had my TA up at 120, the PH would be swinging up a lot.

Whoa -- kinda OT here, but your signature caught my eye! What did you get in place of the 'A' cartridge? Curious.
    Central VA
    My 'disposable' pool -- 7600 gal 18' round AG Intex Ultra Frame, Intex sand filter
    Took it down the first year, but it has been up year round for three years now
    Was really hoping last winter would have done it in so I could justify an upgrade!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jnd5309
    Quote Originally Posted by supertune

Whoa -- kinda OT here, but your signature caught my eye! What did you get in place of the 'A' cartridge? Curious.

Hi jnd5309,
    Go here and read my posts on what I did:

Chuck

http://www.troublefreepool.com/custo...ls-t28971.html

http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex...le-t35091.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool stores survive - nay, THRIVE, on inaccurate testing. The worse their accuracy, the more money they make. It is little wonder that they do not strive for continuing excellence on stringent cleaning and testing methods.

Trust your own testing.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]