Overshot my shock level!

Jun 20, 2009
Princeton, WV
Trying to clear my water. Shock level 16. Counted 28 drops at 7pm FC 14. Added 63 oz of 6% bleach. Did not recheck since reagents are a little low. :oops: Kids wanted to swim. Noticed a strong smell at 9pm when I went to recheck for the night and it tested at 18! I think the eye needs to be readjusted since my water flow seems different after a replumbing job this weekend, but would that make a difference?

They did not complain while swimming, but I had them shower well after getting out. Any comments are appreciated.

That isn't a big deal. Worst case there might be some very minor skin irritation from swimming at mildly too high FC levels.

Nothing about the plumbing is likely affect the FC level.

Having FC go up a little more than you expected is not a big deal. The tests aren't perfect, +-1.5 at that FC level, so it is probably just the lack of precision in the test rather than any usual effect.

A strong smell usually means CC's (Combined Chlorine). Whatever is causing the cloudy water could have caused the CC's or one of the kids might have peed in the water, which could create some CC.

Yea, that's what was so strange. Just checked them on sunday and they were 0.5. Water has not been clear thus far due to multiple issues. Probably need to recheck CC. Also, probably a good thing it was 18 last night since we had a downpour!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.