Pool problem #2 -Plaster issues.

AquaDoctorLLC said:
You should ALWAYS wait at least 2 week, best to wait 30 days, before you add salt to a freshly plastered pool.

I cannot remember exactly when salt was added. If I remember correctly, around 1 week after plaster. I read the above comment on one of the pool forums and told PB that I thought he should have waited to add salt for 30 days. His comment is that he has discussed the issue with his plaster subs. Plaster subs say it doesn't matter. Can add salt right away.

AquaDoctorLLC said:
I agree with above very poor work. When you start mixing portland and marble to get a color different then the intended mix you run into different shades. Very similar to mixing paint. With the exposed aggregate finishes it it possible to fix some blurring with an acid wash but each time you acid wash you decrease your finishes life by 1/2.

Confused - the color variation in the spa. Is this a product of poor plaster work (their fault)? Or a product of using 3 parts of each Diamond Brite color (our fault for picking such a color)? Need to know if this is due to plaster sub doing a poor job so I can make them fix. I've seen photos of other pools using a mixture of Diamond Brite colors. Did not turn out like ours.

Lershac said:

Our whole home / pool is new construction. Secondary to the economy, we are having significant difficulty obtaining a loan (even though we have over 50% down / invested in the home).

I plan on making the PB fix everything (including re-plaster). However, I can not explain such to the PB yet. Need to wait until after our loan is finalized.

My discussion with PB could result in a lien on our home. I can (but don't want to) handle this if we have our loan in place; however, having a lien put on our home prior to acquiring our loan could be catastrophic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cpotter638 said:
Lershac said:

Our whole home / pool is new construction. Secondary to the economy, we are having significant difficulty obtaining a loan (even though we have over 50% down / invested in the home).

I plan on making the PB fix everything (including re-plaster). However, I can not explain such to the PB yet. Need to wait until after our loan is finalized.

My discussion with PB could result in a lien on our home. I can (but don't want to) handle this if we have our loan in place; however, having a lien put on our home prior to acquiring our loan could be catastrophic.

Has your PB seen these pictures yet? It might not need to go so far as a Mechanic's Lien if he sees the end result and agrees that the quality of the work is unacceptable. Looking at the pictures, I'd be hard pressed to hear how he can justify the finished product.

I guess what I mean to say is that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. You might be able to come to a resolution without the need of an all-out battle if he's a reasonable person. That being said, don't accept any half-measures as a solution. Acid washing will reduce the life of the finish and that is not what you paid for. It's the PB responsibility to inform you of any potential issues when you picked the color of the finish. So when you loan comes through, and if you have to go to court, I would get an estimate from a much more qualified (expensive) builder and make your current PB pay for the re-plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.