Permatex

May 27, 2011
I had a leak where the pipe comes out of the pump to go to the filter. I tried teflon tape it still leaked.
Spoke to guy at pool store who suggested using Permatex with teflon tape. Still leaked.
Had pool company comeout to fix it and the first time they tried, it still leaked. I belive they just tried retaping and Permatex.
Had them com eback and they replumbed the elbow and the leak stopped.
A couple of days later I went to check the pump basket and found glob of Permatex in basket.

Is there any health concern about the permatex getting into the water?

Thanks,
Bill

Not likely, since the amount is very, very small relative to the water, and if I remember from my automotive days, Permatex recommends dilution/flushing with water for skin contact. I think that was for Permatex #1. Silicones would be even less a problem.
You could probably pull an MSDS online, but seriously, you've got like a tablespoon's worth in 17.5K gallons? I think you're fine.

Ohm_Boy said:
Not likely, since the amount is very, very small relative to the water, and if I remember from my automotive days, Permatex recommends dilution/flushing with water for skin contact. I think that was for Permatex #1. Silicones would be even less a problem.
You could probably pull an MSDS online, but seriously, you've got like a tablespoon's worth in 17.5K gallons? I think you're fine.

I think it was Permatex #2 and I did pul the MSDS but that only refers to actually ingesting or contact with the substance. I also can't imagine a small amount of substance being a problem, but like I said in my other reply, I'm a little obsessive compulsive and tend to exaggerate problems.
Since the stuff isn't really water soluble, I see your point about the small amount in 17,500 gallons of water. Thanks for the reply.

Bill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.