Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Permatex

1. Back To Top    #1

Permatex

I had a leak where the pipe comes out of the pump to go to the filter. I tried teflon tape it still leaked.
    Spoke to guy at pool store who suggested using Permatex with teflon tape. Still leaked.
    Had pool company comeout to fix it and the first time they tried, it still leaked. I belive they just tried retaping and Permatex.
    Had them com eback and they replumbed the elbow and the leak stopped.
    A couple of days later I went to check the pump basket and found glob of Permatex in basket.

Is there any health concern about the permatex getting into the water?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill

17,5000 Gallons
    IG Vinyl
    Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Permatex

A small amount of Permatex diluted in the pool water won't have any adverse effects.

3. Back To Top    #3

Not likely, since the amount is very, very small relative to the water, and if I remember from my automotive days, Permatex recommends dilution/flushing with water for skin contact. I think that was for Permatex #1. Silicones would be even less a problem.
    You could probably pull an MSDS online, but seriously, you've got like a tablespoon's worth in 17.5K gallons? I think you're fine.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    A small amount of Permatex diluted in the pool water won't have any adverse effects.
    Thanks, I pretty much assumed that but being a little obsessive compulsive, I thought I would put the question out there.

Bill
    Bill

17,5000 Gallons
    IG Vinyl
    Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Not likely, since the amount is very, very small relative to the water, and if I remember from my automotive days, Permatex recommends dilution/flushing with water for skin contact. I think that was for Permatex #1. Silicones would be even less a problem.
    You could probably pull an MSDS online, but seriously, you've got like a tablespoon's worth in 17.5K gallons? I think you're fine.
    I think it was Permatex #2 and I did pul the MSDS but that only refers to actually ingesting or contact with the substance. I also can't imagine a small amount of substance being a problem, but like I said in my other reply, I'm a little obsessive compulsive and tend to exaggerate problems.
    Since the stuff isn't really water soluble, I see your point about the small amount in 17,500 gallons of water. Thanks for the reply.

Bill
    Bill

17,5000 Gallons
    IG Vinyl
    Cartridge filter