Baracuda Ranger > necessary to use flow control valve?

Hi all, I purchased a new 'used' setup, which included the Baracuda Ranger. Got a new diaphragm, chunked it in the pool, and it appears to work great, however, I now realize there is a 'flow keeper valve' that I don't have that cost about $50, and I'm wondering if I even need it. Suction isn't too hard (according to me putting my hand over the suction area), the unit will climb walls, but either falls down and keeps going, or, if it breaks suction, the pump still re-primes after a couple minutes. I have about 15 psi on flow to filter, when I normally get about 18 without anything attached, so that should be good. Speed of the unit seems to be correct to me, but I don't know what's 'fast' and whats 'slow'...but again, it works very effectively. Any thoughts or tricks to get around $50??

I believe the flow keeper valve for your Zodiac is identical to my model. The valve installs at the skimmer and permits partial intake at the valve so that there's still a skimmer function in addition to the suction you have at the Zodiac unit(at the pool floor). It should have a 3 position adjustment for varied flow rate.

Without the valve you'd be getting full suction at the Zodiac which should be OK. My pressure is very close to yours (18/15), and this is with the valve in place and functioning. I have a 15 x 30 with a Hayward 150 lb sand filter and 1 HP pump.

My Baracuda moves along at approx 12" to 16" in 5 seconds.

I have had the problem where it climbs the wall but this is only when the return flow isn't aimed properly...as in aimed more towards the pool center instead of creating a clockwise flow effect.

I didn't like the idea of allowing the pump to re-prime so I avoid that chance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.