Just shocking at night

Sminor

Jul 4, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
I'm wondering if just bringing pool up to shock levels at night will cause me any problems?

Due to work, kids, their friends, and family in the pool daily, I've only been able to shock at night. FC levels drop back down to 5-7 by noon and then swimmers are in. I found out a couple weeks ago (after finding this site) that my CYA levels are low - maybe 15 (test is a little cloudy but still see the dot when tube is full). A couple weeks ago, pool was very cloudy, switching to bleach and shocking for a couple days made it crystal clear. Still haven't passed the overnight test and still get .5 CC daily. Typical test results below:

FC 5
CC .5
TA 170
CH 200
CYA 15?
PH 7.6

Nothing way outta whack. The TA seems a little high and I know I need to add some CYA, but is there anything else of concern? Am I just wasting money adding extra bleach and not maintaining shock levels all day? Will I ever get CC to 0 and pass the overnight test this way?

Like I said, water is now crystal clear and everyone loves it.... Hate to kick them out for a few days while shocking unless the weather gets bad.... Been sunny, hot here for two weeks - not sure if I can stay out for a couple days :-D

If you can pass the overnight FC loss test, you are done shocking :goodjob: FWIW, you should raise your CYA level to 30. FC of 5 with CYA at 15 is a bit high, not overly concerning, but rather play it safe.

Sminor said:
Still haven't passed the OCLT but close... Usually lose 2-3 ppm. Went to wallyworld for CYA today but they were out. I get full sun ALL day! And it has been very sunny....
You can also check your local pool store. You only need about 3 pounds to get CYA to about 30 (assuming 15 now).

All my haunts were out last year and I wanted CYA, like NOW, and I went to the pool store :)
Prices were close to wallyworld. Verify that %CYA is close to 100%.

Not maintaining shock level all the time will hamper your progress and cost you a lot more bleach than you would otherwise use. Since you cna swim up to shock level for your CYA I wouldn't be afraid to bring it to shock level each morning and let them swim if they must. At least that way you won't lose as much ground aas just bringing it to shock level at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.