Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter leaking at clamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter leaking at clamp

I have a Hayward sand filter with the multiport valve at the top.

My pump motor went bad, and my pool was down for a week and a half before I got the new motor installed. The pool is dark green. I backwashed the filter - water in the sight glass was white as usual. After it cleared, I turned to rinse for a minute or so. Finally, I turned the valve back to the filter position. When I turned the pump back on, water was spewing from the clamp joining the valve to the body of the filter. The leaks shoot out right where the two bolts are. I tightened the bolts until I was afraid I might break something, but the leak persisted. I loosened them again and tried gradually tightening, but the leaks don't improve.

Note that the new pump motor is slightly more powerful than the old - I will give details if anyone thinks that's important.

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Sand filter leaking at clamp

Check the O-Ring between the tank and multiport.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I just remove the clamp, detach the three pipe connections, and lift the valve off? How does the the valve connect to the internal piping? Will I be able to just slip it off?

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

It will just slip off the center pipe inside once you get the external piping off. Be sure to lift straight up. Also put plenty of lube on the new seal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit