Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with ID on Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with ID on Muriatic Acid

We could only find one source of muriatic acid last year, and this year's searches prove to be just as useless. Home Depot sells http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=4014

That's what I have on hand. I have checked the MSDS and the only indication to concentration says < 25% Hydrochloric Acid. see http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma ... 30f5c6.pdf

This percentage is not on the pool calculator, so we've been doing some guessing and H has done the math for me but it doesn't seem to be coming out as accurate as it should. It's close, but we usually just miss the mark when we use it.

Can I get some help with this product? Where can we buy the correct product, locally? Pool stores don't seem to carry it (at least in online catalogs). I just opened a bottle of the product referenced above, I'd like to use that up first and then find a better source for something I can use with the pool calculator.

Thanks!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with ID on Muriatic Acid

Are there any other hardware stores in your area? If not you may need to switch to dry acid from the pool store.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If there is a Lowes near you they carry 31% muratic acid. At least around here almost every pool store also has it.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

4. Back To Top    #4

True, this is a large city... I probably should have investigated some of the smaller hardware stores. Although the two bottles were presented to me one evening upon arrival of the H so I accepted them like a good girl :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

This is what the Lowes website says they carry... which is the same as Home Depot. http://www.lowes.com/pd_58558-78-GKGM75 ... &langId=-1

I try to stay out of blowes... it's further away than HD and it kinda blowes IMO... as such, I haven't actually checked the store shelf or called to inquire. Could it be a location issue? Only green acid available here? (anyone seen Portlandia, the tv show? A bit extreme but not so far off as to be able to tell people it's fiction...)

6. Back To Top    #6

We buy it at Ace Hardware, but have to ask for it. They do not keep the gallons of the 31% out on the floor. They do keep the smaller bottles of the "green" stuff out.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

7. Back To Top    #7

They also show to carry this 31% at the Lowes closest to me:

[url]http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=206474-34228-CR.MA.P.01&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3024039&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=r eq&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1[url]
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the link, I can view it but it won't let me buy it in my local store. grrrr...

Have to keep looking apparently.

9. Back To Top    #9

13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Again... A big TY for the research and link... but NO GO at any local stores. HAS to be a regional issue. Weird huh?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Again... A big TY for the research and link... but NO GO at any local stores. HAS to be a regional issue. Weird huh?
    Have you checked your local pool store. I get 4 gallons for around 16.00.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

In my lowe's they don't carry it in the pool section. It's in the paint section with all the solvents and the like. Also online, lowe's says my stores don't have it, but I know that is where I got mine. It might be worth a phone call to the stores themselves and see if it is there.
    Cindy

4.8 K gallon AGP: sharkline opera 12'x17'x52"
    Sandpro 4511 sand filter and pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Any Menard's stores out your way? I gotta believe they would carry it.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

Both Home Depot and Lowes carry 31% over here, but they are in brown boxes. This is what I have been buying:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I find it in the pool section. Also Lowes has it in the box as well, 2x 1 gallon jugs.

J
    23K gal, in ground gunite, 2 HP Jandy pump, 200 sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy SWG, Gulf Stream heat pump, Jandy Aqualink RS, 1HP air blower

15. Back To Top    #15

Use the 25% MA and don't waste time looking for 31.45% or 28.3% etc. Use the 28.3% setting in the Pool Calculator and add 10% more. If the PC calls for 10 oz., add 11 0z. Eazy-peezy!

For the accuracy of our pool water chemistry, ball park is OK. It's like, "measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, and cut it with an axe."

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

16. Back To Top    #16

I doubt that any online search will find muriatic acid, since shipping it would be a nightmare.

Just phone the local stores, both Home depot and Lowes will have it.

Online searches have that limit, they only show what they will ship, not what the store has stocked.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.