Anthony Pool Coping questions

Jul 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Hi All

I'm just finishing up with the rebuilding/repairing of the brick/concrete deck around our Anthony Gunite pool. Since this work has taken much longer than anticipated we are opting to repair the dislodged coping stone on part of our pool as opposed to replacing all of the coping and tile. We're going to leave that for next year....my wallet will enjoy the break as well.

After speaking to a few masons and researching the subject on the internet I still have questions. I'm hoping someone here can help shed some objective and experienced light on the subject.

First, from what I was told early Anthony pools were built so that the sub deck was physically attached to the bond beam. When the deck moves during seasonal changes it results in the infamous crack in the middle of the tile. Some suggest the use of a concrete saw to cut a slot, separate the two structures and allow for independent expansion/contraction. Can anyone confirm this info? (To be clear there is an expansion joint filled with caulk. The suggestion is that the two are joined below)

I removed the coping stone from the failed area. For the most part it wasn't too difficult as most lifted at the crack line in the middle of the bond beam. I bought a Bosch hammer and got down to solid concrete/cement so the repair has a good foundation.
I am going to clean up the bottoms of the cast concrete coping stone so they can be reused. My question is: What process is used to complete this repair? One mason said that the bond beam is rebuilt by using luan wood forms and pouring concrete to get the beam up to proper height. After this cures then the coping is secured to the new surface. Is this a standard approach? Also what type of mix is used for rebuild the bond beam, reattach the coping and to grout the coping?

BTW, I'm not going to apply tile to the repair area as it's temporary.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.