AquaRite T-CELL-15 no free cholorine

berk21

Jun 3, 2011
I've got a 1 yr old pool with an AquaRite T-CELL-15 swg.

I keep the salt levels between 2900 and 3000 and always have had perfectly clear water. However, we never seem to have any free cholorine showing up on our test strips or when we bring water to the pool company. It's ZERO. After shocking the pool last year (now I know to use bleach) and adding CYA cholorine finally registered. That was at the end of the season.

We had liner problems when opening the pool this year and had to drain down to the deep end. Upon refilling I only added salt back up to 2900 and some bleach to shock it. I didn't add cya or anything else. Cholorine registered immediately (bleach). Shortly thereafter though, cholorine stopped being mesurable.

We've fired the original pool company after a comedy of problems. I figured that there's no cholorine because there's no stabilizer. Is that a reasonable assumption? Or maybe the swg isn't working? Another company that was recommended to me said that with a swg that you don't need stabilizer and that a zero free cholorine reading is normal. Really?

I'm interested in what the experts here have to say. My gut says to add cya and see what happens.

Thanks.

You will always need stabilizer in a chlorinated outdoor pool, it doesn't matter where the chlorine comes from. Most SWGs recommend 60-70 ppm of CYA. Without CYA your chlorine burns off very quickly. You have been very fortunate not to have a full algae bloom this season.

I don't know what the pool service guy was thinking. Zero means zero! How could it be possible to have 0 chlorine in a system designed to add chlorine of 1-4 ppm and say that it is normal? I wouldn't let that guy clean my toilet much less clean my pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.