Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing the strength of 12.5% chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

MS Gulf Coast- Katrina Survivor - BP Hater!

Testing the strength of 12.5% chlorine

Is there any way other than using the Pool Calculator, adding chlorine to the pool and seeing the results to find out if my 12.5% is 12.5%? I just started using 12.5% and I know it loses strength quickly, so how do I know it's full strength when I buy it?
    15,000 gal Sun Fiberglass, Glass/Lexan/Aluminum Enclosed Room, 1.5 hp Pentair Whisperflow Pump, Triton 100- 600# Sand Filter, Heat Siphon Heat Pump, 3 Dbl. Seats w/8 Jets, Waterfall, 8' Interfab Slide, Pentair SAm Spectrum Amerlite Pool Light, Stenner MHP5 Chlorine Pump, Kreepy Krauly Vacuum, Bleach, 50 ppm Borates, TF 100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing the strength of 12.5% chlorine

It takes some pretty accurate equipment to get an accurate test of strength of the bleach.

You can use the pool calc if the 6% has been pretty accurate in the past. 12.5% should take half as much to raise it the same amount.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Couldn't use the pool calculator to figure the amount to use in a known smaller volume of water, say 5 or 10 gallons, add that amount to figure the strength based on FC rise.
    12k gal. Free form 14' x 28' IG gunite, 8' raised spa, Hayward T15 SWG, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward Super II pump, Booster pump, Polaris 280, Hayward DE 7220 filter, 400k Btu heater, Color logic LED lights. Pro Logic controller with remote.

4. Back To Top    #4

Using the Google-Search field in the very bottom left of the page, search for "test chlorine strength", without the quotes.
    Here's the first one:
    testing-strength-of-liquid-chlorine-t3165.html
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. I did a search and surprised I didn't get the thread ohm boy linked. I want to check my supplier to see what I'm getting.
    Thanks again.
    15,000 gal Sun Fiberglass, Glass/Lexan/Aluminum Enclosed Room, 1.5 hp Pentair Whisperflow Pump, Triton 100- 600# Sand Filter, Heat Siphon Heat Pump, 3 Dbl. Seats w/8 Jets, Waterfall, 8' Interfab Slide, Pentair SAm Spectrum Amerlite Pool Light, Stenner MHP5 Chlorine Pump, Kreepy Krauly Vacuum, Bleach, 50 ppm Borates, TF 100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach in 2 gallons of chlorine-free (and chlorine-demand-free) water is 10 ppm FC. 1/4 teaspoon of 12.5% chlorinating liquid in 2 gallons is 20.4 ppm FC so 1/8th teaspoon is 10.2 ppm FC.

If you have a spare Taylor or TFTestkits bottle from one of the reagents (especially the titrating ones), then they are 24 drops per ml so 24 drops is 1/5th teaspoons. 1/4 teaspoon is about 30 drops. 1/8th teaspoon is around 15 drops.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks again everyone. I'll try it chem geek's way and the method from the link ohm boy posted and compare results. Thanks for the link James but $83.50 for the Taylor Test is a little steep for now.