Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Had algae bloom last week.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Had algae bloom last week.....

I had an algae bloom last week that i quickly took care of by using super shock and green out. I ran the filter continuously for 48 and green pool turned a blue/gray color. When the filter finally stopped during the night, the next morning I noticed all the dead algae laying on the bottom of the pool. I ran the filter gain for 2 straight days and can not seem to get the dead algae to stay trapped in the cartridge filters. I even cleaned the filters every 6hrs.
    The local pool place suggested Floc...but I would have to vacuum the pool to remove the dead algae. Any suggestions other then flocking and pumping out the algae along with the pool water???
    16k vinyl liner cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Had algae bloom last week.....

Vacuuming to filter would be your next best option if you can not vacuum to waste.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

England, UK

one pool guy suggested adding small amounts of floc to the skimmers so that the stuff settled out in the filter rather than the floor of the pool and could be backwashed away. is there a reason not to do this?
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

The dead algae would have to be in suspension in order to make it to the filter in the first place. Floc makes it clump and drop to the bottom of the pool. Unless you have an in floor pool cleaner, you will need to vacuum out the dead algae.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be sure to let you know how I made out.
    16k vinyl liner cartridge filter