Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump not heating

1. Back To Top    #1
    Stuck In Paradise

Heat pump not heating

I have a Aqualcal pool heat pump that has been working fine until yesterday.

The heater is running but not heating, it’s not leaking, there are no obstructions or strange noises or any other signs that might lead me to focus in on anything keeping it from heating.

I hosed down the outer coils, cleaned the filter and everything seems to be flowing and working properly.

The heater is about 5 years old and used most days for the last three for the spa.

Before I call a repairman, is there anything I could check?
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

2. Back To Top    #2

MS Gulf Coast- Katrina Survivor - BP Hater!

Re: Heat pump not heating

Sounds like you've done all you can do. My 7 yr old Pentair had a freon leak in the heat exchanger and was better to replace/upgrade IMHO. You may have a minor leak somewhere or have an electrical problem such as a capacitor or contactor gone bad that's not engaging the compressor. I've had all of the above. Hope for one of the latter. Unless you have HVAC experience, I'd call a Dr. It may not be so bad.
    Good luck.
    15,000 gal Sun Fiberglass, Glass/Lexan/Aluminum Enclosed Room, 1.5 hp Pentair Whisperflow Pump, Triton 100- 600# Sand Filter, Heat Siphon Heat Pump, 3 Dbl. Seats w/8 Jets, Waterfall, 8' Interfab Slide, Pentair SAm Spectrum Amerlite Pool Light, Stenner MHP5 Chlorine Pump, Kreepy Krauly Vacuum, Bleach, 50 ppm Borates, TF 100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Heat pump not heating but runs

[attachment=0:1bm2nzuw]run capacitor heat pump fault.jpg[/attachment:1bm2nzuw]Pretty sure someone out there is having this problem or will have. Thought I would update this post with my experience. Most common issue with heat pumps - run capacitor will die, as mine did. Easy to tell because the top or sides balloon out. Look at the top of mine - see how the top has ballooned up compared with the small one. It should be completely recessed down.

Review this video to see what I am talking about. Don't get hung up that its not your model.

2nd - if you are handy you can do it.

3rd - research and understand the codes of your heat pump. The inner workings are all the same. Different internal parts, but all are engineered the same.

4th - mine was the run capacitor 60MFD / 370VAC - could not find that so i went for 60MFD/440VAC - almost double the size, but it fit and no issue going bigger. Will run you about $15 and - 10-30min to install. Depends if you know what you are doing.

You will know your Heat Pump has discharged gas, as your pool will have an oil slick. You can't miss this fact. Most pumps will not leak if taken care of. Its a closed system, as I was told. Most of the other parts blow first.
    50,000L/vinyl - Aqualine Goldwater SWG. T-cell 15/Pentair Plus 520 Cart Filter, IntelliFlo VS-3050, GoldLine Wireless Automation with Solarium heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    Joliet, Il.

Re: Heat pump not heating

Thanks for the update!

Glad everything worked out well
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG