Need help solving a mystery

Samantha_in_AL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2010
Altoona, AL
I'm at a loss here, I don't really even know which category to start this thread in. I've been fighting this problem for two weeks now and it seems to be getting worse. I keep getting these spots all over the bottom of my pool. They never show up on the walls, only on the bottom. They appear almost daily in small "piles" or drifts. It's like a very fine powder with a yellowish orange tint around the edges. Whatever it is vacuums up easily and requires no scrubbing. I left the pump off night before last, and when I woke up yesterday morning the pool was clear and the bottom was spotless. I had a few pine needles floating on top (as usual) so I turned the pump on to let the skimmer catch them. When I came back out about an hour later the bottom was covered with the mystery spots again. I thought maybe my cartridge filter needed to be cleaned so I disassembled it (and found that it was disgustingly dirty and smelled like fish) and gave it a good thorough cleaning hoping this would solve the problem, but it didn't. The water started getting cloudy before the day was over. It has been crystal clear all summer until this point. I have let my FC get down lower than it should be a couple of times but never to zero, and my CC reading was 0, but I panicked and thought maybe it's mustard algae and I should shock. :shock: After dark I raised my FC to 36, (34 is mustard algae shock level since my CYA is 60) and I passed the OCLT test. The spots on the bottom were worse than ever this morning and were still the same color even at shock level. I guess this means I don't have algae. The water doesn't look terrible, but it's definitely a little cloudy. I want my clean sparkling pool back!!! Could it be pollen from nearby trees or bushes? I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Here are my numbers:

FC: 34 (was 35.5 before sun came up)
PH: (didn't test today because of high FC level, it was 7.6 yesterday)
TA: 90
CH: 120
CYA: 60

Attachments

• 100_0628.JPG
    100_0628.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 357
  • 100_0627.JPG
    100_0627.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 357
I have read several other posts by other people who are having the exact same problem I am. My CC is still at 0. I can't vacuum to waste because I have a cartridge filter. I don't know what the stuff is, but it's so fine a skimmer sock won't even catch it when I use one while vacuuming. Vacuuming helps, but only temporarily. Sometimes I can actually see the stuff blowing back out my jets as soon as I unhook the vacuum and go back to filtering. My pool has been slightly cloudy for a few weeks now even though my numbers are good. I shocked for about 24 hours week before last but I stopped because I passed the oclt. I wonder if it would help to shock again for a few days and see if the water clears up any. This is driving me nuts! I'm almost tempted to try some clarifier even though I really don't want to.

That sounds like pollen to me. What I noticed was "I can actually see the stuff blowing back out my jets". That makes me suspect a problem with your filter. There might be a small tear in the filter fabric on the cartridge, letting the pollen you vacuum up get back into the pool.

Jason, I thought the same thing about the tear. I took the cartridge out and cleaned and inspected it. There is no visible damage, but maybe I should order a new one anyway. I just bought this one a couple of months ago. I usually buy them from Rec Warehouse but the closest one is almost 100 miles from here. Can anyone recommend a good site to buy them from? I also need to order a new winter cover before fall creeps up on us.

Samantha_in_AL said:
Jason, I thought the same thing about the tear. I took the cartridge out and cleaned and inspected it. There is no visible damage, but maybe I should order a new one anyway. I just bought this one a couple of months ago. I usually buy them from Rec Warehouse but the closest one is almost 100 miles from here. Can anyone recommend a good site to buy them from? I also need to order a new winter cover before fall creeps up on us.

Samantha, ordered mine from this site...cheapest i found...$74.00 including SH...mine is a 125...your 200 should not be much more than that.

http://www.allpoolfilters4less.com/waterwaypoolfiltersunicel

Hope this helps...Bo

Thanks twoolley and Robins Airman. I checked both sites and www.poolsupplyworld.com was the only one that had the size I need. It was more than $60.00 cheaper than what I've been paying at Rec Warehouse! FYI - If anyone places an order of more than $100.00 with them you can use the code "THANKS11" (in all-caps, without the quotation marks) and get free shipping plus $10.00 off your order!
I always google coupon codes for websites I order from. I found that one and it worked. yay!

twoolley, do they ship UPS or FedEx? Hopefully UPS, they are so much faster!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry I didn't catch this earlier! They actually shipped it FedEx. They slapped a FedEx shipping sticker directly on the Polaris box and sent it out. Arrived in great shape and it's my new best friend.

I still don't have my new filter, but I'm thrilled to announce that as of this morning my pool is sparkling clear again! The water continued to get cloudier by the day. It got so bad I could barely even see the bottom. I tested for CC every day and kept getting 0. I couldn't stand it anymore so I decided Thursday to start shocking the pool anyway. It paid off! I 'm so happy to have a clear pool again!

My new cartridge filter should be here on Wednesday. I also ordered some Purifiber Plus. Does anyone have any experience with that product?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.