Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Need help solving a mystery

Need help solving a mystery

I'm at a loss here, I don't really even know which category to start this thread in. I've been fighting this problem for two weeks now and it seems to be getting worse. I keep getting these spots all over the bottom of my pool. They never show up on the walls, only on the bottom. They appear almost daily in small "piles" or drifts. It's like a very fine powder with a yellowish orange tint around the edges. Whatever it is vacuums up easily and requires no scrubbing. I left the pump off night before last, and when I woke up yesterday morning the pool was clear and the bottom was spotless. I had a few pine needles floating on top (as usual) so I turned the pump on to let the skimmer catch them. When I came back out about an hour later the bottom was covered with the mystery spots again. I thought maybe my cartridge filter needed to be cleaned so I disassembled it (and found that it was disgustingly dirty and smelled like fish) and gave it a good thorough cleaning hoping this would solve the problem, but it didn't. The water started getting cloudy before the day was over. It has been crystal clear all summer until this point. I have let my FC get down lower than it should be a couple of times but never to zero, and my CC reading was 0, but I panicked and thought maybe it's mustard algae and I should shock. After dark I raised my FC to 36, (34 is mustard algae shock level since my CYA is 60) and I passed the OCLT test. The spots on the bottom were worse than ever this morning and were still the same color even at shock level. I guess this means I don't have algae. The water doesn't look terrible, but it's definitely a little cloudy. I want my clean sparkling pool back!!! Could it be pollen from nearby trees or bushes? I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Here are my numbers:

FC: 34 (was 35.5 before sun came up)
    PH: (didn't test today because of high FC level, it was 7.6 yesterday)
    TA: 90
    CH: 120
    CYA: 60
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

Re: Need help solving a mystery

I forgot to add that I used a skimmer sock yesterday when I vacuumed. I was hoping it would catch this stuff and not let it go back into the pool through the return but it didn't work. It's too fine for the sock to catch.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user

My best guess since you seemed to pass the OCLT is very fine dirt and pollen. My pool has this everyday and I also vacuum and use skimmer socks daily. Hope this helps.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

I have read several other posts by other people who are having the exact same problem I am. My CC is still at 0. I can't vacuum to waste because I have a cartridge filter. I don't know what the stuff is, but it's so fine a skimmer sock won't even catch it when I use one while vacuuming. Vacuuming helps, but only temporarily. Sometimes I can actually see the stuff blowing back out my jets as soon as I unhook the vacuum and go back to filtering. My pool has been slightly cloudy for a few weeks now even though my numbers are good. I shocked for about 24 hours week before last but I stopped because I passed the oclt. I wonder if it would help to shock again for a few days and see if the water clears up any. This is driving me nuts! I'm almost tempted to try some clarifier even though I really don't want to.

Former Baquacil user

That sounds like pollen to me. What I noticed was "I can actually see the stuff blowing back out my jets". That makes me suspect a problem with your filter. There might be a small tear in the filter fabric on the cartridge, letting the pollen you vacuum up get back into the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Jason, I thought the same thing about the tear. I took the cartridge out and cleaned and inspected it. There is no visible damage, but maybe I should order a new one anyway. I just bought this one a couple of months ago. I usually buy them from Rec Warehouse but the closest one is almost 100 miles from here. Can anyone recommend a good site to buy them from? I also need to order a new winter cover before fall creeps up on us.

Former Baquacil user

I just bought a Polaris and some other supplies from Poolsupplyworld.com. They shipped prompty and everything was in order. I would order from them again. They also have great prices.
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL
    Jason, I thought the same thing about the tear. I took the cartridge out and cleaned and inspected it. There is no visible damage, but maybe I should order a new one anyway. I just bought this one a couple of months ago. I usually buy them from Rec Warehouse but the closest one is almost 100 miles from here. Can anyone recommend a good site to buy them from? I also need to order a new winter cover before fall creeps up on us.
    Samantha, ordered mine from this site...cheapest i found...$74.00 including SH...mine is a 125...your 200 should not be much more than that.

http://www.allpoolfilters4less.com/w...lfiltersunicel

Hope this helps...Bo
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

Thanks twoolley and Robins Airman. I checked both sites and www.poolsupplyworld.com was the only one that had the size I need. It was more than $60.00 cheaper than what I've been paying at Rec Warehouse! FYI - If anyone places an order of more than $100.00 with them you can use the code "THANKS11" (in all-caps, without the quotation marks) and get free shipping plus $10.00 off your order!
    I always google coupon codes for websites I order from. I found that one and it worked. yay!

twoolley, do they ship UPS or FedEx? Hopefully UPS, they are so much faster!

Former Baquacil user

So did this solve the problem?

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier! They actually shipped it FedEx. They slapped a FedEx shipping sticker directly on the Polaris box and sent it out. Arrived in great shape and it's my new best friend.
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

I still don't have my new filter, but I'm thrilled to announce that as of this morning my pool is sparkling clear again! The water continued to get cloudier by the day. It got so bad I could barely even see the bottom. I tested for CC every day and kept getting 0. I couldn't stand it anymore so I decided Thursday to start shocking the pool anyway. It paid off! I 'm so happy to have a clear pool again!

My new cartridge filter should be here on Wednesday. I also ordered some Purifiber Plus. Does anyone have any experience with that product?

Former Baquacil user