New pool owner with all new stuff

reklak

Jul 4, 2011
I just had my first in-ground pool put in - 16X32 with a center step. Hayward Vertical DE36 with a Pentair VS+SVRS and the Autopilot Digital (set at 50%) with the RC35/22 Cell. I have dual main drains, two wide mouth skimmers and two returns. The returns are at the shallow wall and the skimmers on on the opposite deep end wall. The pool starts at 3.5 feet deep and goes for 12 feet then there is an 11 foot slope which ends in the 7 foot deep end. I figured I probably have about 20600 gallons give or take.
So far it appears that my water balance looks good. I just added the salt to the pool and when I get home I will test the water.
I have had the pump running 24/7 for the last 4 days at the lowest speed at 1100RPM which shows 150 watts +/- which equals about 22 bucks a month on electric extra.

Besides for the electric - is leaving the pump running 24/7 a good thing or a bad thing. What effect will leaving the pump on have on the salt system. Should I lower my percentage.
How do you know if the filter is working or if you have too much or too little DE in it.
Why is it when I raise the RPM's on the pump my salt system is asking for more salt.
The gauge on the top of the filter has a green and red line and another moving line that barely moves unless I am cleaning and have the RPM's set high, why is that.
I have more, but lets start with that.
Thanks in advance.

Read pool school, read pool school, read pool school! :)

Go with what Dave said first then deal with the rest.

It doesn't matter to the pump if you run it 24/7 and as long as the pool is clean it doesn't matter to the rest of the system if you run it on low all the time.
When the filter was first installed or whenever it's completely broken down and cleaned, if you add the recommended amount it's fine. Also if you add about 80% of a new fill amount after every backwash you'll be fine.
Have your salt tested at a local pool store. Or better yet, get your own test kit and salt test. There's a link in my sig to the best one.
The pressure gauge will read very low unless you put the pump on high. You should backwash the filter, add 80% of the fresh fill amount to the filter then run the pump on high and record the pressure. This will be your clean pressure. Once in a while, run the pump on high and check the pressure. If it's up 6 psi or so then it's time to backwash again.

Get those chems right before you address anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.