Cloudy pool due to new plaster?

Jun 10, 2011
SE Michigan
for some reason, I can't get my pool to the crystal clear level that I want. Its a solid 90-95% clear but I want more. I can see my bottom drains in the deep end (6'6") but I have to stare for a minute to find them most times. The pool was as clear as its ever been on Saturday morning but after a full day of swimming with a lot of kids, it was pretty cloudy at the end of the day. I realize this may be expected but I ran the filter overnight along with the auto-vac and it was still cloudy on Sunday and then again on Monday, although I did have more swimmer both days. I ran the auto vac overnight and have the pump running 24/7 every day trying to lose the cloudy haze to no avail.

shouldn't my sand filter have cleaned most of this cloudiness up overnight? or can it take longer after a lot of swimmers on hot and sunny days? my filter will has a 100 gpm flow rate but I'm not sure if that depends on how fast my pump is running. I've been running it in the 2100-2200 rpm range. assuming its 100 gpm, that means my entire pool should turn over in under 3 hours. if I'm running the filter 24/7, that means my pool is getting turned over at least 8 times a day. shouldn't this clear up any cloudiness relatively quickly?

my levels have always been steady except for FC which comes down every day and I bump it back up most nights. Here are my usual readings:

FC 7-8
CC 0
Ph 7.5 (this has a tendency to rise. when it gets to 7.8, I add MA to get it back down to 7.2. it'll take about a week to get from there back up to 7.8)
TA 90
CYA 35
CH 220

is there any downside to having FC too high? I bumped it up a little too high on accident Friday night since I was expecting a boatload of kids this weekend. FC was at 11 on Friday night, went down to 4.5 after a full day, I bumped it back to 7.5 Saturday night. It was at 5.5 on Sunday night and went down to 4.5 as of last night. I didn't add any bleach the last 2 nights but do have my auto-chlorinator running until I get my CYA level up. I get a lot of direct sunlight on the pool from 11 am to 5 pm so I'd like my CYA to get to 50ish.

over the last 3 weeks, I have performed and passed the OCLT many times so I know there is nothing in my pool so that I would need to shock. CC has always been 0 or <.5 on every test as well.

Can my cloudiness just be due to the new plaster as my pool is only 1 month old? if not, what else could it be?

here is a pic of the plaster finish I have on my pool. it didn't give me the blue look I had hoped. its more of a light blue look to the water as opposed to a deeper blue and maybe this is what is throwing me off.
SGM-37-1049.jpg

here is an example of what I mean by 'lighter blue' look of my pool. FYI, this is not my pool but one that gives the same bluish tint. is it possible that a deep end on a pool like this light blue would look hazier than a deeper blue?
main173.jpg

reading this forum has been a godsend helping my take care of my first pool. I think I know what I'm doing but just can't seem to lose this slight haze that hangs around my deeper end especially. maybe I am setting my sights too high? I'll try to take a pic tonight and post it so everyone can hopefully see what I'm talking about. the ones I have you really can't make out my drains on the bottom.

thanks again for all of your help.

I brush it every couple of days.

how long will the cloudiness hang around with fresh plaster? through this summer or will it go in to next year? not sure there are good answers to this question as I'm sure it may depend on other things.

I will read up on the DE. thanks

It sounds like they did a traditional startup, which are known for having lots and lots of plaster dust, which will often turn the water white and cloudy.

You aren't getting 100 GPM at 2100 RPM. The filter GPM rating is a maximum. The actual GPM depends on your pump speed and many details about your plumbing. 50 to 60 GPM is much more likely at 2100 RPM. I suggest turning your pump down to about 1000 to 1400 RPM. The filter will actually filter better and you won't be spending quite as much on electricity. Just make sure that the skimmers still work well at the lower speed, and turn it up a little if the skimmers aren't skimming as well.

I agree with Richard320, trying a little DE in the filter is a good idea.

JasonLion said:
It sounds like they did a traditional startup, which are known for having lots and lots of plaster dust, which will often turn the water white and cloudy.

You aren't getting 100 GPM at 2100 RPM. The filter GPM rating is a maximum. The actual GPM depends on your pump speed and many details about your plumbing. 50 to 60 GPM is much more likely at 2100 RPM. I suggest turning your pump down to about 1000 to 1400 RPM. The filter will actually filter better and you won't be spending quite as much on electricity. Just make sure that the skimmers still work well at the lower speed, and turn it up a little if the skimmers aren't skimming as well.

I agree with Richard320, trying a little DE in the filter is a good idea.

pump speeed and running time have been questions of mine that I haven't asked yet. I think my lowest speed is 1100 rpm, the buillder said 1600 should be fine with a pool my size. I just pumped it up hoping to make it more clear. I'll turn it down lower and check the skimmers. what should I do with my bottom drains? I can turn them off or down very low so that the skimmers will get more suction. any reason I shouldn't do this?

if I'm running my pump at 1300 (for example), should I just let it run 24/7 as long as it is a little cloudy? or is it pointless to run it 24/7 to clear up the cloudiness and 12 hours be sufficient?

JasonLion said:
I brushed twice a day the first month and cleaned the filter every week the first month. We were not allowed to use a vacuum the first 30 days but when that could go in it and that made a difference in getting the dust gone.

when I got home yesterday, there was a ton of dirt in the pool. not sure why as I ran the auto vac all night, but the good news is that I could clearly see it on the bottom. I vacuumed it up, turned the pump down to 1600 rpm, turned my main drains way down and let it run overnight. when I got up this morning, the pool was as clear as its over been as I could see my drains from inside the house. now if I could just keep it this way.....

thanks for all of the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm willing to bet that in the not-too-distant future, you'll be wishing you hadn't added that Calcium. It will rise naturally as the plaster cures. And the easiest way to get rid of it is to drain and refill.. which means your carefully balanced water is running down the drain and you get to start over fine-tuning it.

Keep the pH in line and maintain the FC, but stop micro-managing it! It's hard, I know... :mrgreen:

I ran first 60 days 24/7 at 900 rpm (~90 watts) and the ultraslow speed combined with a weekly filter rinse kept water sparkling clear. Managed those first 2 months on just liquid chlorine and acid. Today I still run 3 days/week a program that shuts down all other components (IC40, Simpool) and runs just filtration at 900 rpm.

Richard320 said:
I'm willing to bet that in the not-too-distant future, you'll be wishing you hadn't added that Calcium. It will rise naturally as the plaster cures. And the easiest way to get rid of it is to drain and refill.. which means your carefully balanced water is running down the drain and you get to start over fine-tuning it.

Keep the pH in line and maintain the FC, but stop micro-managing it! It's hard, I know... :mrgreen:

:lol:

it is hard, but I'm learning. I won't touch anything other than Ph and FC from now on unless something gets totally out of whack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.