Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy/green water - help

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy/green water - help

Split from cloudy-green-water-help-t35310.html Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    The only "professional" product you should need to clear your pool at this point is good old 6% household bleach. Read shocking your pool in pool school. Run the pump 24/7 and backwash it as needed. Welcome!
    I seem to be having the same issue this year for some reason. The green changes to milky then almost clear then back to green by the end of the week. All I use right now since I found this website is 5.25% to 6% bleach, depending what store I'm at for the bleach. 3/4 gal at the Dollar Tree is 5.25% and the Walmart/grocery stores in the area carry 6%. The Ph is at 7.5-7.8 but I only use the test with the red drops and yellow drops for Ph and Chlorine. So if your correct, I should be using more chlorine to get my 13,000 gal pool clean? I use 1-2 gal a week but it just doesn't seem to be working. My pool is in the sunlight most of the day. Not sure if that needs me to add more chlorine. Help?
    13,500 Gal, 24' round AG pool with 22'' sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy/green water - help

Read the Sticky!

You need to overwhelm the algae with chlorine to kill it faster than it can reproduce. Once it's all dead, it will only take minimal amounts of chlorine to keep it clear. But right now you're just see-sawing back and forth over which side is winning: algae or bleach?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Bleach from some dollar stores can be old and not strength as advertised, keep notes to see if quality between sources varies. Are you adding a little bleach daily?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Are you adding a little bleach daily?
    No I don't add daily. Didn't think I needed too. Used to do once a week when I was spending all my money at the pool store. Now I'm looking to go BBB method this year. So you think daily is a good idea? How much daily? I don't want to come out of my pool a blonde. lol (jk)

Forgot to add, I started using a solar cover this year. good or bad?
    13,500 Gal, 24' round AG pool with 22'' sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dfarrarjr
    Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Are you adding a little bleach daily?
    No I don't add daily. Didn't think I needed too. Used to do once a week when I was spending all my money at the pool store. Now I'm looking to go BBB method this year. So you think daily is a good idea? How much daily? I don't want to come out of my pool a blonde. lol (jk)
    How much depends on what your test kit says.

I think it's time for you to visit Pool School
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Most people will have to add chlorine daily.. even if small amounts to keep the levels w/in range for their Cya value.

Do a good read of the pool school and while your there look at the "how to shock" area. If you're fighting algae.. it will give you what you need to know to win that battle.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits