above ground pool has lost its skimmer suction...help....

Jul 4, 2011
we installed for the first time a intex above ground 20ft round pool, it came with the Krystal clear 635T Filter pump. Its been working fine keeping pool clean its been about 9 days so I changed the filter (1st time doing this) then it seemed to work fine again. We had a number of people in it yesterday...had fun... I turned pump on and noticed the skimmer basket is not creating the circular suction and the water pressure at the oulet is not as strong as it has been. I checked the filter, released the air from the housing Ive checked the threaded strainer connector and found some hair and small debris removed it put the skimmer hose back one. and its doing the same thing. When i had the skimmer hose off the threaded strainer connector it looks like there is debris inside it??? but not sure..can that be removed without losing water??? Any suggestions?? thanks, Laura

Re: above ground pool has lost its skimmer suction...help..

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but if you get a rubber stopper (the pool ones that have a wing nut to help snug them in) you should be able to remove the hose to check without getting the Poseidon adventure everywhere.

Is there anything the skimmer basket is catching?

As Onslow said, seal it off from the inside anyway you can and it should not lose much water when you take the hose off. You may have to seal off the return too if you don't have the valves on the inlet and outlet.

i am having the same problem. Came here to investigate. where you able to fix the problem? I have noticed lack of suction before, but by changing the filter, it fixed the problem. But now, no matter what I do, I cant fix it. my salt water generator is saying today "low flow" or something like that. thinkin of callin the company.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.