Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideal CYA level for Las Vegas NV. or other desert areas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ideal CYA level for Las Vegas NV. or other desert areas?

I have learned a lot here in a short time. My question would be what would be the ideal CYA level for very sunny Las Vegas? I have seen everything from 30ppm up to 100ppm.
    Inground plaster 20,000 gal
    Whisperflo 2hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ideal CYA level?

I run about 60 ppm using bleach as my chlorine. I would consider 50 to 60 ppm about what you should run.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ideal CYA level for Las Vegas NV. or other desert areas

Hopefully, members living in your area will chime in. I have often read of folks running a CYA of 70ish in your area. We're talking outdoor and sull run, right?

You could start at our high recommended of 50, see how it goes and then ease your way up.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not lower than 50 ppm and probably not higher than 80 ppm. Some people find that higher CYA levels, especially approaching 80 ppm, lower chlorine usage in spite of the higher FC level required (but not everyone experiences this -- see this post, for example, but Mark did experiments described here that showed the CYA protection effect). So you should probably start at 50 ppm and see if your chlorine usage is high -- more than, say, 2.5 ppm FC per day. You can increase the CYA from there, but just note that if you go to 80 ppm that IF you are lax or otherwise start to get algae growth, that shocking takes a lot more chlorine at that higher CYA level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard, good info.
    Inground plaster 20,000 gal
    Whisperflo 2hp pump