My wife installed an 18-foot Intex pool on a slope !!!

Jul 4, 2011
My wife bought an Intex 18 foot x 52 inch Round Ultra Frame Pool from Toys"R"Us last Friday and by the time I saw it she already had it set up on our brick patio and filling with water. Our patio is on a slope so that the highest end of the pool is about 10 inches higher than the lowest end. I think this means that the slope is just under 3 degrees. Now the pool is already full of water and the weight of the water is causing the metal posts around the edge of the pool to lean slightly towards the lowest end but nothing is broken at this time. There is a warning on the side of the pool saying "NO SLOPING GROUND" so please let me know if you think this pool is in danger of collapsing.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Desperado :)

Yes I would say it is in danger of collapse. I've seen recommendations by other posters that up to 2" out of level is acceptable. My personal pool 16' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame is just under an 3/4" out of level, it was quite a bit of work to get it that close but it is worth it.

Desperado said:
My wife bought an Intex 18 foot x 52 inch Round Ultra Frame Pool from Toys"R"Us last Friday and by the time I saw it she already had it set up on our brick patio and filling with water. Our patio is on a slope so that the highest end of the pool is about 10 inches higher than the lowest end. I think this means that the slope is just under 3 degrees. Now the pool is already full of water and the weight of the water is causing the metal posts around the edge of the pool to lean slightly towards the lowest end but nothing is broken at this time. There is a warning on the side of the pool saying "NO SLOPING GROUND" so please let me know if you think this pool is in danger of collapsing.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
I know just about everyone on this forum will disagree with me on this but my pool has been up for 4 seasons and is about 4 inches off and has been fine. My sister inlaw's is about a foot off and her's is the age as mine and has never been taken down and hasn't had a single issue. Not even any rust on the frame! Personally I just don't like the pool to not be level... I'm kind of OCD like that so next year my new pool has to be perfect! Good luck on your decision!

Take it down and do it right, there is personal safety of everyone around you involved as well as personal property, your exceeding all pool manufacturers recommendations and just because there is no failure today doesn't mean it won't fail tomorrow.

As tmyers said, contemplate the weight in that pool and what it can do to your loved ones....or what your neighbours lawyer will do if his family/ property are damaged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone.
I've drained the pool and now we're thinking about moving it to another location. The new location is almost perfectly level but it's located right above the slope that the house is sitting on. Under the house is a large air conditioning and heating unit as well as the wiring which provides electricity to the whole house. So if the pool collapses it can cause a lot of damages or get somebody electrocuted.
Is this something I should worry about or is it almost impossible for this type of pool to collapse when properly installed ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.