Pool choices and options

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
First off, I want to thank all of the contributors to this forum. I've read for hours trying to determine the different options that I wish to consider when making my pool purchase. Even after reading all of the information available here and elsewhere, I'm still finding it hard to make a decision on which above ground pool to buy. The only variable that is set in stone at this point is the size - 24' round. As far as the other things - I'm just not sure yet.

See, I'm one of those type of shoppers that obsesses with getting the best deal. What I learned quickly is that one can purchase the same quality pool online with free shipping and save hundreds, even thousands of dollars. What is killing me is the choices. There are simply too many choices and too many vendors for me to look over. Top rail sizes, materials (Steel, aluminum, resin), filter brand, liner type (beaded or non) and I just keep going back and forth from one selection to the next wondering what to do.

I'd like to pull the trigger on this in the next couple of weeks. Is there any way at all that someone could help me narrow my choices down a little? What are some of the best quality pools out there that can be had for a reasonable price? Best vendors to deal with. As we all do, I want to spend as little as possible.

I realize this is sort of like asking the question "What's the best motor oil?" or "Who makes the best cars?" but it's really all I have at this point. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Personally I'd recommend resin over steel, I like the way they look and I like the curved rails, it won't rust and it is plenty strong. But that's my personal preference, my neighbor has a nice steel oval pool.
I bought a Sharkeline Matrix from FamilyPoolFun.com and recommend both.

There's plenty of choices, I'd recommend using the search tool to query pool manufacturers and sellers.

I would suiggest you first determine your budget, which has to include site prep and water. Site prep can cost as much or more than the pool equipment. Once you know the amount and pool size you should then use the general guidelines of a merchant who is listed with the Better Business Bureau Online and check their ratings on that site, most AG pools are manufactured by the same 2-3 pool manufactuing companies and sub branded so there is little difference in name brands. Doughboy and Lomart often require their own liners, so be aware of proprietary issues. Look for wide uprights stainless hardware, wide top rails. Beyond that, its really design and material - steel the average norm, aluminum spendy and resin being the most expensive but a very nice option. It does become brittle in northern climates so extra care is required but doable when careful. Many are hybrids with parts being assorted materials, like steel walls, aluminum bottom rails, ss plates, resin uprights and rails or caps. This is now most common. Once you decide on those, just price shop amongst merchants who meet the BBBO standard. Remember, the poil is only as good as the site prep so concentrate on solid and level, correct site prep and any pool can last for 15-25 years. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm still torn between resin/steel/hybrid but that feature to me, is not as important as some of the other things. I already have an installer lined up and I have a price. I just need to order the dang pool and get it here so that he can install it. The installer is actually a local pool store owner, but his pool packages are WAYYY too expensive. I already told him that I was looking online for the pool. He just told me to be careful with choosing a pool and that he would be happy to install for me. Around here, the common installation charge runs around $1000.00, which seems about the status quo. The yard is sloped somewhat so it's going to be a partial bury - he's going to need to come in with a backhoe and all that. I found another guy that has an excellent reputation and works with many of the local pool places that does it for $900.00, but he can't be gotten a hold of. LOL I'd actually do it myself, but I can't get much help from my wife on anything anymore. :)

I'm still searching away. Thanks again. We've been going back and forth on getting a pool for the past seven years and just never did it. Now that we have our custom home completed and will be moving in a couple of weeks from now, I just want to get it in there.

A couple of feelers - has anyone heard of "Splash Pools" or "Heritage" pools? Do we know who makes them?

Ok. I think I'm pretty sold on the Sharkline Venture Hybrid. Not as nice as the Matrix, but a lot less expensive. Now I just need to decide on the 52" vs. 54" wall and figure out the whole pool bonding thing. I've read just about every thread on here about it and still don't understand it :) I've asked all of my neighbors with pools about pool bonding and none of them had any idea what I was talking about.

I noticed you live in the Raleigh area..There is a place called Backyard pool's in Raleigh&Greensboro..Very impressed with there packages& price..You can get a 24ft with a 2speed Hayworth pump&sand filter//Resin top's..under $4000.00/installed..Looked at a install up the road last week..Was very impressed&the new pool owner was too..But,really I love my AGP put if I had it too do again.I would have gone ahead &spent the extra &had a IGP.By the time you figure A nice deck all the way around&a sturdy nice set of step's..

kplaster said:
But,really I love my AGP put if I had it too do again.I would have gone ahead &spent the extra &had a IGP.By the time you figure A nice deck all the way around&a sturdy nice set of step's..

Yup...love my pool, but wish we went IG :roll:

IG pool is not really an option for us. The grading of the yard's pretty steep. We'd spend a fortune prepping for an IG - more than most.

By the time I purchase all of the equipment and pool online, and pay for local install I'm looking at about 3500. Then I get to build the deck :). I'll have no more than $1200 in wood. So for me, $5000 is a lot less than I could do an IG. That wouldn't even cover the pool itself.

kplaster said:
I noticed you live in the Raleigh area..There is a place called Backyard pool's in Raleigh&Greensboro..Very impressed with there packages& price..You can get a 24ft with a 2speed Hayworth pump&sand filter//Resin top's..under $4000.00/installed..Looked at a install up the road last week..Was very impressed&the new pool owner was too..But,really I love my AGP put if I had it too do again.I would have gone ahead &spent the extra &had a IGP.By the time you figure A nice deck all the way around&a sturdy nice set of step's..

Hey kplaster. I know that it's been a few weeks, but I'm interested in hearing more about this "Backyard Pools". I can't seem to locate them anywhere online or in the phone book. There is a "Backyard Oasis Pools", but it doesn't appear that they sell anything above ground - all IG pools. Do you have any contact information for these people? Thanks!

moze229 said:
kplaster said:

Hey kplaster. I know that it's been a few weeks, but I'm interested in hearing more about this "Backyard Pools". I can't seem to locate them anywhere online or in the phone book. There is a "Backyard Oasis Pools", but it doesn't appear that they sell anything above ground - all IG pools. Do you have any contact information for these people? Thanks!
Sorry,,Backyard Leisure Pool's,spa,billards.....3501 Capital Boulevard....919-850-2200

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I'm usually the person helping others find this kind of stuff online. It took me a little bit to find these people online ever after you gave me all of the information. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

moze229 said:
Thanks! I'm usually the person helping others find this kind of stuff online. It took me a little bit to find these people online ever after you gave me all of the information. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.
I def would check them out..They have been advertising a 24 by 52 installed for $4000..With Hayworth 2 speed sand filter..They advertise on craislist alot up here..I have check'd out one of there install's up here..Look'd very good..Resin pool at that too...Good luck&let us know what you find out..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.