Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broke off return eyeball

1. Back To Top    #1

Broke off return eyeball

In an effort to fix one of my returns, I accidently broke off the piece completely. There is still some part of the piece stuck in the pipe. Any recommendations for getting the remaining piece out easily and, in the meantime, is there any reason I cannot run the pump? It's not going to do any damage until I can repair this, I hope?

Thanks!
    Anne
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Broke off return eyeball

Won't do any damage at all. Not sure about how to get it out. Did the rotating eyeball break or the part around which the eyeball rotates?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The part around it broke. The only way I was able to move the eyeball was to loosen the bigger piece around it. I was playing around trying to get the eyeball in the right position, then tightening the piece that holds it in place and the whole thing came off in my hand. I stuck my finger in the return and it feels like there might be leftover pipe stuck in there that might be able to be unthreaded but I can't tell.
    Temecula, CA
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

4. Back To Top    #4

You're most likely correct. The fitting most lilely broke off at the threads. It shouldn't be too hard to remove it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's a Hayward inlet, SP 1419-T is the tool to remove it. Or you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to grip the slots on the inside of the fitting to make it come out.

If this gives you a lot of trouble, let me know
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Can't tell if it's Hayward - would it say something on it? Here's a few photos. I was not able to loosen with needle nose pliers - hopefully DH can do it but if I can get a tool and not bother him, he'd be happy. lol

Thanks for any help.
    Temecula, CA

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

if there's grooves or slots on the inside, you can use the fan blade of small putty knife to get it out

8. Back To Top    #8

I used a washer and vice grips on mine. Used the washer to grab the notches and use the vice grips to turn the washer.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    If it's a Hayward inlet, SP 1419-T is the tool to remove it. Or you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to grip the slots on the inside of the fitting to make it come out.

If this gives you a lot of trouble, let me know

Or a 1"1/2 wood chisel :0)
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Kevin, that's why you're the X- Pert
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

I had one broke like that for years never could get it loose with brute force. Finally this year, with the water level below the level of the discharge I used a dremel tool to cut down just to the first sign of the threads. Cut in three places then it popped right out.
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 20,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.0Hp Maxiglass/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG