cost of SWG vs manual liquid chlorine

Aug 15, 2010
greetings salt people. :)

So I'm wondering is there a cost savings here for SWG over manual dosing, or is this just a preference/convenience thing? I'm wondering because I've always done my own pool using liquid chlorine 10% and use maybe 40 gal/yr and $3.50/gal or say $150, plus of course trichlor tabs at $100/yr. So say $250/yr in chlorine. From what I've read, SWG systems run about $1K to $1.4K in the US here, and the salt cell will last maybe 8 to 10 years and need to be replaced at $400-$500 per occurence. So disregarding salt costs, the SWG system is costing $120/yr plus salt, plus electricity, amortized over 10 years? So from first looks, it seems that I can save some money as long as my salt cell does not fail prematurely.

Can anyone else comment on this who have done some analysis? For me, maintaining the pool for 1/2 hr every week is no big deal, so it's really only about cost.

cheers,

curious LC guy

Typically, you don't save money with a salt system. It's mostly a convenience thing. Once you add the initial salt, then there is only a minor cost in replacing salt lost due to splash out and backwashing. The cell will need to be replaced periodically. The cell life and cost very by manufacturer and other variables. The power supply will periodically need repair or replacement. Electrical costs are fairly minor.

I put in a Jandy SWG about 3 years ago. $850 and I installed it myself. Very happy with it, but agree with other comments that cost is probably a wash over the long haul. It's convenience and the water feels a lot better on your skin and hair.

If you do take the plunge and go with an SWG, I recommend finding one that reverses polarity (the Jandy does that). I have had almost no calcium buildup on my SWG. Friend of mine nearby with a different model that doesn't reverse polarity has a huge problem with calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.