Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cost of SWG vs manual liquid chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

cost of SWG vs manual liquid chlorine

greetings salt people.

So I'm wondering is there a cost savings here for SWG over manual dosing, or is this just a preference/convenience thing? I'm wondering because I've always done my own pool using liquid chlorine 10% and use maybe 40 gal/yr and $3.50/gal or say $150, plus of course trichlor tabs at $100/yr. So say $250/yr in chlorine. From what I've read, SWG systems run about $1K to $1.4K in the US here, and the salt cell will last maybe 8 to 10 years and need to be replaced at $400-$500 per occurence. So disregarding salt costs, the SWG system is costing $120/yr plus salt, plus electricity, amortized over 10 years? So from first looks, it seems that I can save some money as long as my salt cell does not fail prematurely.

Can anyone else comment on this who have done some analysis? For me, maintaining the pool for 1/2 hr every week is no big deal, so it's really only about cost.

cheers,

curious LC guy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cost of SWG vs manual liquid chlorine

Typically, you don't save money with a salt system. It's mostly a convenience thing. Once you add the initial salt, then there is only a minor cost in replacing salt lost due to splash out and backwashing. The cell will need to be replaced periodically. The cell life and cost very by manufacturer and other variables. The power supply will periodically need repair or replacement. Electrical costs are fairly minor.

3. Back To Top    #3

The cell typically lasts three to five years. Averaged over all pools the costs tend to come out about the same, but in some particular pool it will be cheaper one way or the other.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I put in a Jandy SWG about 3 years ago. $850 and I installed it myself. Very happy with it, but agree with other comments that cost is probably a wash over the long haul. It's convenience and the water feels a lot better on your skin and hair.
    16,000 gal in-ground Pebble-tec pool / Pebble-sheen spa. Jandy AquaPure 1400 SW Cl gen (SWG) system. In-floor cleaning system w/ Hayward EcoStar 2.0 HP VSP pump. Hayward 31" sand filter. 900 sq ft Heliocol solar panels (on roof) w/ separate 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlow single speed pump. Water feature with separate Hayward 0.85 HP VSP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

you can use calculator in my signature to find out for yourself

6. Back To Top    #6

If you do take the plunge and go with an SWG, I recommend finding one that reverses polarity (the Jandy does that). I have had almost no calcium buildup on my SWG. Friend of mine nearby with a different model that doesn't reverse polarity has a huge problem with calcium.
    16,000 gal in-ground Pebble-tec pool / Pebble-sheen spa. Jandy AquaPure 1400 SW Cl gen (SWG) system. In-floor cleaning system w/ Hayward EcoStar 2.0 HP VSP pump. Hayward 31" sand filter. 900 sq ft Heliocol solar panels (on roof) w/ separate 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlow single speed pump. Water feature with separate Hayward 0.85 HP VSP pump.